OEM Honda vs Aftermarket OEM Flywheels

zmelli

Honda wants $180 (Best Price on-line) shipped to my doorstep for a Flywheel. Exedy OEM replacement is only about $120 shipped.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2390106&cc=1167218&pt=5348&jsn=266

How do I justify the extra money for the OEM part? would the OEM Part be built with better metal, would it be balanced better?

What are your thoughts and experiences. Maybe there is a Flywheel insider on the Forum.

Thanks.

Solution
I bought the Exedy direct from their website. Reply from Exedy:

Subject: RE: EXEDY USA - FWHDA01

Thank you for your interest in Exedy products.

This flywheel was an OEM product that we produced for Honda. It would be the same exact tolerances as what you would purchase from the Honda dealership.

If you have any additional questions, please let us know.
How is your '93 Accord used?
Are you keeping the car for the long term?
I know I know, $60 is $60! However, I'd use HONDA OEM

But, if you want to save money, I found this in one click!
1993 Honda Accord 2.2L flywheel
IDK what the shipping cost is to your ZIP but, that could make a difference as well.
Daily driver, Work car. Keeping it, I have many hours and trips to Pick- A- Part invested!

Exedy hasn't wronged me yet. I would have no issue with buying that flywheel and installing it. Its also available on Amazon. Should also consider a stage1 clutch kit.

Lighter flywheels in traffic are no fun.

When doing a regular daily driver start off from a stoplight, the inertia of a stock flywheel helps get the car moving without losing too much engine rpm and having it stall.

Honda wants $180 (Best Price on-line) shipped to my doorstep for a Flywheel. Exedy OEM replacement is only about $120 shipped.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2390106&cc=1167218&pt=5348&jsn=266

How do I justify the extra money for the OEM part? would the OEM Part be built with better metal, would it be balanced better?

What are your thoughts and experiences. Maybe there is a Flywheel insider on the Forum.

Thanks.

It's funny how your 93 Accord has followed some of the same issues my 96 Civic has! I just did this last year. I did compare Honda's price (insane) with Exedy's price (about $80 before inflation hit). Turns out when the original stock Honda flywheel was removed it has the exact same casting marks as the Exedy! More digging and I found out that Exedy is the supplier to Honda, well one of them, the major supplier.

If you get the Exedy you're getting the same flywheel Honda charges more for! The pilot bearing is already installed and it's the same Japanese brand as Honda. I'd be skeptical about buying it from RockAuto, too many odd things others have found and for me too many damaged products from that place! Check out Exedy's USA site, I bought mine directly from Exedy!

I went looking for your 93 Accord.. found it! Flywheel is $124 directly from Exedy. Here's the link..

And when I was replacing my flywheel I was also upgrading the clutch.. I went with a Exedy Stage 1 clutch. No more mushy, numb feeling clutch, more positive engagement and it's only a slight stiffer than oem, in other words, it feels normal now! I don't know how I put up with the mushy stock clutch for that long! I should've done this upgrade a long time ago.. But the flywheel is excellent, balanced, smooth, cannot complain..

It's funny how your 93 Accord has followed some of the same issues my 96 Civic has! I just did this last year. I did compare Honda's price (insane) with Exedy's price (about $80 before inflation hit). Turns out when the original stock Honda flywheel was removed it has the exact same casting marks as the Exedy! More digging and I found out that Exedy is the supplier to Honda, well one of them, the major supplier.

If you get the Exedy you're getting the same flywheel Honda charges more for! The pilot bearing is already installed and it's the same Japanese brand as Honda. I'd be skeptical about buying it from RockAuto, too many odd things others have found and for me too many damaged products from that place! Check out Exedy's USA site, I bought mine directly from Exedy!

I went looking for your 93 Accord.. found it! Flywheel is $124 directly from Exedy. Here's the link..

And when I was replacing my flywheel I was also upgrading the clutch.. I went with a Exedy Stage 1 clutch. No more mushy, numb feeling clutch, more positive engagement and it's only a slight stiffer than oem, in other words, it feels normal now! I don't know how I put up with the mushy stock clutch for that long! I should've done this upgrade a long time ago.. But the flywheel is excellent, balanced, smooth, cannot complain..
I was wondering about the Pilot Bushing, Thanks.

Not sure how things are for your '93 Accord, but my recent clutch job on a Suzuki SX4 included the installation of an LUK kit which included nothing but Exedy branded parts. The flywheel, the clutch disc, the pressure plate: all Exedy. I forget what the slave cylinder was, but it was quality.

I think you would be fine with the Exedy part or even a Luk. Basically equivalent to OEM. I have not had any issues with either brands flywheels or clutch kits and saving some money is always a good thing

Back