OEM for Subaru?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adm

I bought an STP air filter for a 2008 Subaru Outback standard 2.5. After I got home I looked in the manual and it said to use a Subaru brand filter as any other might "negatively" affect the engine. The only difference is the Subaru filter has a thicker orange coating on the inner pleats closer to the engine. I did compare the Napa Gold to the STP and they look identical and both made in South Korea. Any Comments? Thanks.

It's just trying to scare people into buying OEM stuff. Same as man. 'recommending' certain brands of oil. As long as the filter fits the airbox, there's no reason it won't work.

For the car owner that is unaware and unsure, the manual is their hope for information. Subaru can't make more money off of you if you buy an STP or Napa brand. the "OE" subaru air filter is not made by subaru, it could be anybody, they're just using subaru's color scheme and name.
You pay more at the dealer for the air filter and the dealer works you into believing only OE parts are required, where in reality, if they were required, they would have to be free from the dealer as per the Magnussen-Moss Act

It's a Denso, made in the USA. The STP fits the air box perfectly. I figured it would be OK, but a little reassurance always helps. EricF, you reminded me of my efforts with a customer concerning the Magnussen-Moss act. I was selling aftermarket plasma consumables and the customer was concerned about voiding the manufacturer's power unit and other OEM parts warranties, if they didn't also use their tips. I did the research and wound up stating the same thing. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Basically they want you going back to the dealer for ALL of your maintenance, which will increase your cost DRAMATICALLY.
I never go to the dealer. I look at the manual, decide what is sensible, and then take it to the mechanic that I know I can trust,
who is knowledgeable and experienced. I use the one mechanic for my Subaru, my Dodge Dakota, my Mitsubishi, and my GM Venture.
I find this is cheaper, and better. He even lets me buy my parts online, and bring them in to his garage. No dealership would ever allow you to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back