OEM Denso Filter, never seen before. Any info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple Mitsubishi oil filters from when I worked at the dealer. For some reason, I had one case of these filters come in. Same part number we used all the time, but these filters were different. They are made by Denso, and look totally different. Instead of having a paper like element, this almost looks like it has some foam type filter element. The base plate is thick, you can see the silicone anti-drain back, the gasket is molded and comes pre-lubed. In inside of the canister is not a perforated tube like we are used to seeing, but a plastic frame for the foam type filter. I only have 3 of these left, and have never seen them again. I took some pictures, don't really want to cut it open right now though. Does anyone have any info on this type of filter

Thanks!

CIMG3147.jpg

CIMG3148.jpg

CIMG3146.jpg

CIMG3151.jpg

CIMG3150.jpg

You can also use it as a pot scrubber after you're done with it as an oil filter.

That is an interesting design.

When I bought my 2001 Tundra with the 4.7 V8 engine this type of Denso filter was for the initial oil fill and for initial use after major engine repairs where there might be debris in the oil.

I've used them for years with excellent UOA.

looks almost identical to the filter elements used on home heating systems that use diesel oil for fuel.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
When I bought my 2001 Tundra with the 4.7 V8 engine this type of Denso filter ....

Same with the 2005 Tacoma I bought new. I tried to get the same filter through the Toyota dealers, but it and it was not a part that they could get. Apparently, Toyota only puts them on at the factory.

Like I said, I used to be the parts manager at a Mitsu dealer, and I want to say that I received 1 or 2 cases of these, and that was it. It is the same Mitsu part number as the filters that I would order ever stock order, however every other case was a normal paper element standard looking oil filter. There is some sort of number on the side of the filter next to the denso name. I did a google search, and came up with nothing. I wonder if myself or someone else was to email DENSO OEM with that number, and the Mitsu number with the description of the filter, if they could provide more information about it. Mine does appear to be made well. Blue silicone anti-drain back, nice molded base gasket (instead of a generic rubber gasket) and it even is lubed all the way around it (similar to the way that some seals come packaged) and it just looks like a cool design. I am sure there was some reason that Denso made filters like this, and I would assume it is because they found some advantage. Interesting to see what they may say about it.

When I factory ordered my Ford Ranger, I read that the Motorcraft oil filter put on at the factory, although identical part numbers of what you get at the dealership parts counter, is not the same internally. How or why I don't know. Interesting that more than one manufacturer is putting a different filter on initially. Possibly a special "break in" filter?

They are available but pricey. The best quote I got was from McGeorge Toyota on the east coast. About $11 each shipped. IMO they are a break-in filter made to catch chunks and to not let go of them. IIRC they are made under 3 different part numbers. 20001, 20003, 20004. I guess they dont like the number 2. Me either, it is my unlucky number. The equalivant to the yzzd1 is the 20003.

I ordered the 90915-10004 from McGeorge awhile back, 7.99. Same construction except thread is protruding type. I bought 12 to make the shipping less than $1 each. They fit on the Prius, Yaris, as well as Camry 4 cyl. My reasoning for the different style is in Japan people are more sensitive to buying their own Japan made products than in the USA, and will pay more for them. The Thailand Densos are fine, but they are being made to allow the rest of the world to save a bit of money.

I don't think they are specifically for break in, they are what is supplied in Japan. They are a more complex design and just looking at the very clean rolled thread shows attention to detail.

However, when these are used up I will buy only USA made, probably back to PureOnes, taking a cue from the Japanese thinking.

really? lol I just installed one on my oci after about 4k. I'll send in another sample and see how this filter did on the same oil vs the amsoil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back