OEM Cartridge filters or After Market

My Jeep Wrangler uses a cartridge oil filter. My question is should I continue to replace the filter with Chrysler oem filters or are there better quality filters available? I’ve read from others that when the used filter is pulled out that the filter pleats are sometimes contorted meaning the pleats are now wavy looking versus straight when the filter was new. If they are wavy looking does this effect the performance of the filter when your used filter has this appearance. My previous vehicles have always had canister filters so I really don’t know a lot about cartridge filters. Thanks for your assistance

I’ve used both Wix and Mobil 1 on our Pentastar. Both show somewhat wavy pleats upon removal, but I believe they are both quality brands, so I’ll continue to use them.

I use the Fram Ultra on mine. I've used OE as well. IMO the Ultra is a better filter.

Reactions: JC1
OEM or FRAM will work. Maintenance with a good oil and filter is 1000x more important. I'm sure if you take 2 identical Jeeps and drive them identically with one using OEM filter and another FRAM, using the same oil at 5k mile intervals, there won't be any measurable difference in wear after 150k miles, IMO.

I've only changed a few of the 3.6l element filter. Since nobody knows anything about filtering media (manufacturers keep materials' sources and specs real close to the vest ) I cannot fret filtration efficiency.

The wavy pleats I always thought were from the tightening of the housing.

My only other question regards the extension which goes into the engine. What does that thing do anyway?
I hope they're made well and don't break off. Maybe I should get a Mopar filter just to see a "good one".

The main thing to look for with the aftermarket cartridge filters for the 2014+ Pentastar is to make sure it is the later design that has the center cage spin within the outer media shell. This is what causes many of the wavy pleat issues with these aftermarket filters. The very early first "AA" revision of the MOPAR filter that also did not have the center cage that spins and is what many of the aftermarket filters reversed engineered from.

Most of the bigger named aftermarket filters makers have the updated design. It is the cheap Ebay Chinese no name ones to avoid.

The main thing to look for with the aftermarket cartridge filters for the 2014+ Pentastar is to make sure it is the later design that has the center cage spin within the outer media shell. This is what causes many of the wavy pleat issues with these aftermarket filters. The very early first "AA" revision of the MOPAR filter that also did not have the center cage that spins and is what many of the aftermarket filters reversed engineered from.

Most of the bigger named aftermarket filters makers have the updated design. It is the cheap Ebay Chinese no name ones to avoid.
Sorry I don’t understand what you mean when you say; “Center cage spin within the outer media shell”

I've run Wix/Napa Gold, Fram XG and Mopar OE on my wife's 3.6L Pentastar and my sister-in-law's 3.6L Pentastar engines without concerns.
All have worked fine, all have come out with some sort of wave in the pleats.
I buy what I can get the best deal on at the time to restock, usually half dozen or more at a time.

Sorry I don’t understand what you mean when you say; “Center cage spin within the outer media shell”

See the attached picture. Where the red arrow points to, should be able to spin somewhat freely within the outer filter media. The very early OEM ones and a few of the aftermarket ones that copied it, did not spin . So when the other end was snapped into the end cap and screwed on, the filter media had a propensity to twist when installed.

Attachments

• Oil FIlter.jpg
    Oil FIlter.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 19
I'll say the Fram ultra for the Pentastar is my go to filter choice. I use it for 2-3 OCI.

Here's my post with pics.

I just use OEM Mopar's in my Jeep's 3.2 Pentastar ( same as the 3.6 just smaller bore) so I don't have to think about it. They are the same price as aftermarket so why not?

Back