OEM Battery for 2010 Toyota Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am checking for a friend at work if an Ontario produced Corolla has a Panasonic battery in it from the factory.

He's trying to milk the battery for one last year, and I checked it with a DVM and it seems like it should hold up until next Fall.

I told him if it isn't Panasonic to just change it now, but if it is clean the posts and put silicone grease on them, reconnect and keep it until next Fall so the Summer can beat up the old battery and he can get full value out of it.

His goal is to only purchase this one battery to hopefully last for the rest of the life of the car.

He doesn't plan to keep it past 10-11 years, I told him he can easily keep it that long if not longer.

FWIW with Mazda the cars built in Japan have Panasonic batteries, but the service replacement batteries are from Johnson Controls. The American built models had Motorcraft batteries installed.

And Motorcraft factory batteries are made by Deka.
their aftermarket battery is made by johnson controls or Deka, depending on the moon location.

The battery is still ok.

He is just trying to decide to milk it or not over this Winter.

If it is a Panasonic I told him he'd be good till NEXT Fall.

But if the above manufacturers are the suppliers Toyota uses, I think he will be fine regardless.

Thanks guys

Originally Posted By: EricF
And Motorcraft factory batteries are made by Deka.
their aftermarket battery is made by johnson controls or Deka, depending on the moon location.

Interesting- do you have anything to substantiate that, like a link? RE: Factory Motorcraft batteries being made by Deka?

The panasonic batteries in Toyota's are amazing, my Highlander still has the original after 10 years. Will probably be replaced with a Johnson Controls Interstate before winter, haven't decided. Flew to Cancun for a week last January, came home to 15 degrees, started right up.

But to replace any 4 year old battery that tests fine seems odd to me. Why even test it if you don't trust the results?

The Panasonic in my truck came from a wreaked 2000 Toyota Camry.
I don't think twice about it.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
The panasonic batteries in Toyota's are amazing, my Highlander still has the original after 10 years. Will probably be replaced with a Johnson Controls Interstate before winter, haven't decided. Flew to Cancun for a week last January, came home to 15 degrees, started right up.

But to replace any 4 year old battery that tests fine seems odd to me. Why even test it if you don't trust the results?

I had to replace the battery in my 9 year old Tacoma this summer. I can live with that. The original said "Toyota" on it.

He purchased the Corolla right when it came out. The battery is about 5 years old now.

In Montreal, a battery that is about 5 years old we generally think about changing them because of the 3 weeks or so we get of cold snaps.

I was really hoping it is a Panasonic as I know he will be able to do this Winter without issue.

He plans on keeping it until next Fall.

And I agree to change a battery around the half way mark into a vehicles life. No point in milking a battery until it is 8 years old, putting up with 3 years of not being able to trust the battery in the Winter.

Then after milking the battery, you have to get boosted at an inappropriate time.

Then you put a new battery in an 8 year old car, and scrap the car due to rust at 10, essentially loosing 3 years of "use" of the new battery's life, putting you in the same boat as ditching a battery early.

So I agree, in Montreal, 5-6 years max.

I had a panasonic in my 2011 forester I replaced it after 2 years it was at 280CCA fully charged.@60f

the one in the 2015 seems better.

they make them to the car manufacturer specs

Originally Posted By: Falken

And I agree to change a battery around the half way mark into a vehicles life.

You and I are on the exact same page. The only difference is that to me 10 years and 117,000 miles is the half way mark. But that's my reasoning behind a new battery this fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back