OEM 5W-30.......Can I use 10-30 or 5-40 also?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an '03 Explorer XLS 4.0L SOHC w/145k. I drive daily, and about 25k miles/yr. I live in upstate NY (cold winters!). There is a very small oil leak from the front seal. The OEM recommended oil is 5W-30. What are the advantages/disadvantages of using a different weight of oil other than OEM. I've heard of people doing this. I'm new to this site and just learning about oil. I need an oil change soon and just don't have the time at the moment to research the answer on this awesome site so I'm just asking the question. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

If you have a small leak it could be due to gum/sludge bild up on the seal. I would suggest that you first check out Auto-rx.com. It comes with high regards on this forum. Then you can use the recommended oil for the X.

Running that many miles a year, assuming you get the leak taken care of and oil burning is no issue, I would consider an extended life synthetic like Amsoil, RP, M1, Redline, etc. You'll save some money on oil changes. (My preference is always Amsoil)

I'd still use a 5-30, and not go thicker. Especially with winter coming. More pep and gas mileage, and better cold oil flow is your reward.
Search about AutoRx around this site.
A little seal weeping won't really hurt anything - it's not worth massive repairs.

Do your winters drop below zero degrees Fahrenheit? If not, Maxlife 10W-30 will be fine; otherwise, you'll have to go with the 5W-30.

I second the 10-30, but I would go with the Maxlife full group III synthetic.
approved.gif

You need to be careful of the 10W-30's in that they may just be an inferior version of a 5W-30 in a given line of oils. Look at the densities, 100degC Kinematic viscosities, and NOACK values. If you are not sure, definitely choose the 5W-30 oil. If you are looking for a better summer oil, you might consider a 10W-30 synthetic blend (>$3/qt version) or a full-synthetic 10W-30. Go to the manufacturer's website and look up the datasheet in any case.

Quote:

You need to be careful of the 10W-30's in that they may just be an inferior version of a 5W-30 in a given line of oils. Look at the densities, 100degC Kinematic viscosities, and NOACK values. If you are not sure, definitely choose the 5W-30 oil. If you are looking for a better summer oil, you might consider a 10W-30 synthetic blend (>$3/qt version) or a full-synthetic 10W-30. Go to the manufacturer's website and look up the datasheet in any case.

What's this about 10w30's being an inferior version of 5w30!...For the guy with the Explorer if you want to farther on the oil go with Maxlife Full Synthetic in 5w30 if you are gonna go 3 to 5 thousand then use Maxlife Syn Blend 5w30...I see no harm in the 10w30's if you wanna use em...both oils have seal conditioners...

I would try 5w30 maxlife its going to be on the thicker side of the 5w30 spectrum. 10w30 is no way to thick even in the winter, so either would serve you well. I dont know about this nonsense of 10w30 is being labeled a gear oil. this has been going on ever since 5w20 became a factory recommendation.

Maxlife Synthetic 5W-30 in the winter and standard Maxlife 10W-30 in the summer would be my choice in your situation.

Actually I would probably repair the leaking seal, but I enjoy doing mechanical work
smile.gif

I don't think going with as viscous an oil as 5w-40 in the summer months would be any issue, but I think it might be overkill in the winter. I think one might be right to assume that each use of the vehicle is more than 15-20 miles, so as to think that the oil has reached and maintained normal operating temperatures, which if utilizing the heavier 40wt would lessen the impact on MPG, but the 5w rating of the 5w-40 grade would enable it's use during the winter also...but would suggest that you let the engine warm-up some before putting your foot into it...I ponder if not, you might just blow-out what is otherwise a seeping seal?!

I'd give a 5w-30 HM a try, any brand (used GTX last year, trying Val. blend this winter), and let the mind mull over other things.
smile.gif

Take care.

Quote:

go with maxlife in 5w30 for a few oci's and see how that does.. its great oil for the price

+1

Ed weather,

First of all this oil guru stuff is sort of hobby and enthusiast site for most of us. You can get lost in here for days. Don't get me wrong - I'm driven to find answers just like everyone else.
hide.gif

So lets cut to the chase - If the leak doesn't stop using MaxLife 5w-30 go with Mobil 1 HM 10-30 in the spring. Mobil 1 has a tall claim on cleaning ability. http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAXXENPVLMOMobil_1_High_Mileage_Oil.asp

I'm currently using Auto-Rx in 3 of my 4 vehicles so the jury is out for me if it really cleans better than Mobil 1 HM. I'm sure it works but since I can buy a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 HM 10w-30 for $19.xx with no added additional cost of any additives you are saving a few $. You need to buy the base oil regardless.
hornets_nest.gif

Besides Mobil 1 HM is developing a following here on this site as a potential promising oil in it's own right. Just might be the best gas engine oil Mobil 1 markets to date. Time will tell.

My vote is keep it simple:

1. Switch to MaxLife 5w-30 Synthetic or synthetic blend for the winter.
2. If the leak doesn't stop with MaxLife switch to Mobil 1 HM 10w-30 in the warmer months.
3. If after 10,000 miles of Mobil 1 HM 10-30 leak still persists try Auto-Rx regimen with cheapo dino oil . . .
twocents.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back