OE or OEM? Reminder to shop around!

I am doing an overhaul of the suspension on my BMW. I am literally replacing everything that has rubber and upgrading some parts. SO in the back, I am upgrading 4 control arms (2 on each side) to M3 ones. There is a total of 4 control arms on each wheel, but only 2 can fit from M3. They are forged aluminum, stronger and lighter than stamped steel on regular suspension. They are a big improvement in handling.
Anyway, as one might suspect M3 control arms are not the cheapest. The set of 4 that fit regular E90 in the rear (I cannot go in the front with M3 arms as my BMW is xDrive) is around $847. TRW is OE supplier to BMW.
However, the replacement TRW set of 4 is between $350 and $400.
This is how OE BMW looks like:
OE BMW M3 control arm.jpg

OE BMW M3 control arm-close up.jpg

As you can see, OE arms have M logo stamped in the middle:

These are TRW replacement arms I purchased:

TRW M3 control arm.JPG

TRW M# control arm-close up.JPG

As you can see, M logo is scratched. So the difference is some $450-500 because the logo is scratched.
Shop around people!

As you can see, M logo is scratched. So the difference is some $450-500 because the logo is scratched.
I've seen where the auto manufacturer requires the part maker to do this for warranty purposes, liability, etc too. It's funny when they don't even make a real effort to hide this though ! I do wonder why they don't remove the "imprint" from the die but clearly they just rather punch out thousands of these in a run vs two runs - one with and one without.

Ford VVT cam sprockets for 3V modulars, same thing. Only some companies charge more than Ford, but you can see the Ford part number on it in the pictures online.

Yup, the scratched off logo trick is pretty common. When you know what you're doing, it's well worth it because often you'll save a considerable amount of money.

Ford VVT cam sprockets for 3V modulars, same thing. Only some companies charge more than Ford, but you can see the Ford part number on it in the pictures online.
Yep! Standard has one in their TechSmart line with the OEM stuff scratched off. I haven't installed in in my 3V yet, but that is what I bought.

I bought an Denso AC compressor for 2004 Sienna from Amazon Warehouse deals for around $90 usually more than $200.
The box was scratch & dent but the part inside was perfect and worked fine for a few years till I sold it so who knows after that.

Just bought a vapor canister purge solenoid in a Standard/Intermotor box for a Honda. It was made in Japan and the p/n, "made in...", etc text looked like how Hitachi or Denso does theirs. Oddly enough, I called a couple Honda dealers and none stock this part (normally), plus their cost was lower than the Standard/Intermotor. Well, it was only about $6-7 difference than O'Reilly's price.

How do we know it didn't say MOOG?

And the TRW has numbers on either side, the BMW does not so it's not the same casting. ?

But there's lots of stories about aftermarket phasers failing, sometimes at startup. I mean I guess for example Melling may be Ford but not Dorman.

How do we know it didn't say MOOG?

And the TRW has numbers on either side, the BMW does not so it's not the same casting. ?
The BMW part pictures look more generic, i.e. representative of different parts for different BMWs (almost like a stock photo). The last picture is, I presume, the OP's actual part with specific part numbers stamped.

You fool. The "M" gives the parts the ability to deny the laws of physics for 5 seconds, thus giving you an advantage. You messed up. ;)
No, the extra weight of the M slows the car down. Now it's slightly faster with less weight.

Same thing with Mercedes too, Wahler makes the thermostats and in the spot that had the Mercedes logo, it was ground out, otherwise looked identical to factory.

I had to buy ignition coils for my pickup. All 8 since the aftermarket ones were failing one-by-one. Everyone said the Denso ones for $27 (half price) were the OEM ones with a sticker.

And that was true. The Denso ignition coils had the motorcraft part number and logo printed with just a Denso sticker put on top.

Back