Odyssey oil burner...what oil?

Friend just bought a 2011 odyssey(190K klms) with 3.5v6 that is a bit of an oil burner, 4L in 5k klms. 0/20 is what's called for, has anyone bumped up to 5/30 and seen a drop in oil consumption? I know thats no fix for stuck rings( i assume....pcv is good and clean), just wondered if anyone has been down this road.

Thanks folks will give it try next time its due. May have to give it a cyl. soak if it gets worse. Honestly never had luck with that, but see some on here have. I'll have to do a search and see what product seems the best.

If it has vcm like my US spec Accord with the 3.5 in my sig, I can tell you the two things that have cut my consumption are a vcm muzzler and moving from 20wt to 5w30 HM
Huh learned something new.....will have to point him at that.

Huh learned something new.....will have to point him at that.
VCM in that era Honda are known to cause issues with plug fouling, motor mounts breaking, and oil burning as the cars age, not sure if his specific van has it, but disabling vcm made a huge difference in the overall driving quality of my Accord, no more running on 3 cylinders on the interstate:)

I have driven quite a few Hondas with the VCM technology and it has worked seamlessly. Never even heard of issues until I just did a google search.
I think it was more of a problem in the earlier iterations like my gen Accord, although I imagine even in newer models where it feels more seamless, long term issues with higher mileage vehicles may still pop up as they age

OP, You can both a heavier weight oil, and then also try liqui moly CERATEC. In my experience, it has helped to curb oil consumption by a large margin ( >40% ).
Some people will cry foul at the thought of oil additives when most good name brand oils will already be fortified enough. It never hurts to try. Just my two cents.
You can also check your pcv valves, if that J Series has any in the first place. That may solve excessive blowby, which can curb oil consumption.

It will need new pistons. The last one I saw completely fouled the plugs:

Unfortunately a 2011 is likely to be outside of the warranty extension.

Last edited:
I would highly recommend a VCM muzzler, change the plugs & PCV if needed, and change the oil at 50% on the olm. High mileage oils are really good. My preference is Valvoline Maxlife. Whatever brand you choose, just move up a weight each oil change until you get to a consumption rate you can live with (0w20 to 5w20 to 5w30 to 10w30).

Put a VCM Muzzler on it. I own a 2012 Odyssey after having the rear pistons replaced by Honda under Warranty due to plug fouling I installed a Muzzler, have never had a problem so far. I run 0w20 Pennzoil Platinum in the engine and Valvoline Maxlife ATF in the transmission. Dont forget to change that Transmission atf regularly I do mine every third oil change sometimes two.

My Toyota Highlander consumed a fair bit on 30 grade. I've literally tried all variations of 30 grade. I switched to 20 grade just to see the results and it literally drank it up. Currently running 20W50.

I'd seriously jump to a 40 grade. Any 5W40 should run fine. Not sure that 30 grade is a big enough jump to significantly stop the consumption.

Friend just bought a 2011 odyssey(190K klms) with 3.5v6 that is a bit of an oil burner, 4L in 5k klms. 0/20 is what's called for, has anyone bumped up to 5/30 and seen a drop in oil consumption? I know thats no fix for stuck rings( i assume....pcv is good and clean), just wondered if anyone has been down this road.

I tried a bunch of oils, maxlife 5w-20 and 5w-30, pup 5w-20/30, quaker state 5w-30. The first two (valvoline/pup) slowed it a little with the 5w-30. Current fill is a 50/50 blend of redline 0w-20 and 10w-30, 2k into the oil change with only a 1/4 quart to top off (using redline 5w-30). Slowed consumption by 3/4 of a quart over the 2k. Looks like the high ester content in the redline is helping clean things up but too expensive to do another round so probably go back to something cheaper next change. Next thing is get vcmmuzzler.

Back