Odyssey oil burner...what oil?

Jury is out for me on the tuner still...I'm more concerned with fuel dilution with the DI being it is a short tripper and I'm in a very cold climate. I can smell fuel in the oil during the winter, I'm giving M1 0W-40 a spin to see how it does on about a 9 month/4,000 OCI. One thing I noticed immediately after the change was that VTEC activation seemed less harsh, and as many find the engine has quieted down some. Not like that matters though as all you hear is the injectors anyways!
If anything, it protects the engine mounts. Lots of reports and posts on odyclub.com about mounts getting thrashed due to VCM activation.

If anything, it protects the engine mounts. Lots of reports and posts on odyclub.com about mounts getting thrashed due to VCM activation.
My mom's 2008 without VCM managed to trash a set in around 100k miles and 6 years, I think it's eaten through another set now it's at 180k another 7 years later.

My mom's 2008 without VCM managed to trash a set in around 100k miles and 6 years, I think it's eaten through another set now it's at 180k another 7 years later.
Now add in VCM operation and that much more vibration and boom

Gen 3 VCM? I still wonder since it's the most seamless if it's also easier on the mounts. Not enough gen 3 J35s old enough yet to determine the mount life I suppose.

Gen 3 VCM? I still wonder since it's the most seamless if it's also easier on the mounts. Not enough gen 3 J35s old enough yet to determine the mount life I suppose.
More 1&2 but some guys have reported mounts on 3 being thrashed. 2017 is when 3 first came out since the new 2018 generation. 4 years is enough time.
3 is definitely better than 1&2 as far as the oil consumption though.

Just updating. 8000 miles - 2 oil changes. Total 1 quart burned and very little gas smell in the extracted oil. Thanks everyone for turning me onto the vcmtuner
Forgot to add, Fram Ultra filter, using mightyvac to suck out the oil from the dipstick. Lot of physical issues makes it hard to get under the car to change the filter making the mightyvac awesome since I only have to get under there once a year. I let it warm up, then park with the front facing down a slight incline. First oil change using this method sucked out a lot of thick goop. Second change, no goop, and almost no gas smell.

The first 80k were pennzoil plat ultra 5w-20, lost too much oil which is why I tried different oils 3 years back. Which is why I settled on my current setup - oil is a 50/50, Motul 5w-30 and Mobil 0w-20. Before I tried them individually, both different pros and cons, now, it runs exactly how I like.

Back