Odyssey calls for 5w20 uhno

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, my grandparents got this honda odyssey. The retarded thing calls for 5w20. Obviously, 5w20 oils are garbage for engine protection. Would using a slightly heavier oil like a 5w30 or 10w30 have any negative effects on the car or the warranty? I/they really don't want to run synthetic in that car just to have decent protection.

thoughts? suggestions?

--Matt

Read the manual and it might say you can use 5w30 if 5w20 isn't available. If that's the case, I'd use the 5w30 instead and not worry about the Warrantee.

no don't listen to that stupid manual thats basically been epa influenced far too much. Run a good 10w30 oil such as Castrol GTX or Penzoil and don't worry about it. It won't void any warrantys as long as you keep it changed with 5k. Just for reference, my friend's 78 Trans Am with the 400 Pontiac calls for 5w30 and thats the original 78 owner's manual. I kid you not. On the other hand another friend's 79 Camaro with a 350 calls for 10w30 in the winter or maybe 5w30 and in the summer or above 60 it calls for 20w50 from the original 79 owners manual. I would never use 5w20 synthetic or dino unless I had a low output modern 4cyl or in the case of a geo metro a 3cyl.

Jason

quote:

Originally posted by mebanditws6:
Just for reference, my friend's 78 Trans Am with the 400 Pontiac calls for 5w30 and thats the original 78 owner's manual. I kid you not.

I absolutely don't believe this. A close friend of mine had a 78 Trans Am with the Pontiac big block 6.6 (400 cid) and his manual did not say anything about 5w30 in normal conditions. I think you need to go back and look again. It may recommend 5w30 in extreme cold weather, but not as the standard fill.

quote:

Originally posted by mkosem:
ok, my grandparents got this honda odyssey. The retarded thing calls for 5w20. Obviously, 5w20 oils are garbage for engine protection.
--Matt

Why do you say obviously? I used to say this too, but after seeing a few 5w20 oil analysis results on here, my mind is changing. I think a good quality 5w20 can perform just as well as 5w30. Keep in mind the viscosity at 100c between Mobil 1 5w30 and most 5w20s out there is not all that far off.

My mom's 2001 honda civic calls for the stuff. But I just ordered some Amsoil 5-30 synthetic and a K&N filter for it. It'll be my Amsoil guinea pig since I just filled my truck and the wife's car with Mobil 1 10-30 so we'll see how it holds up.

patman, I say obviously because the film strength of a 5w20 cannot be as good as a 5w30 or heavier weight oil.

--Matt

quote:

Originally posted by mkosem:
patman, I say obviously because the film strength of a 5w20 cannot be as good as a 5w30 or heavier weight oil.

Why do you think that?

If the film strength of 20-weight isn't as strong as 30, then why stop there. Go to 50-weight or 60-weight or 70-weight. Use grease instead of oil. After all, film strength is the only consideration.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Jay:
If the film strength of 20-weight isn't as strong as 30, then why stop there. Go to 50-weight or 60-weight or 70-weight. Use grease instead of oil. After all, film strength is the only consideration.
rolleyes.gif

lol.gif
Thanks, I needed a good laugh tonight!

quote:

rolleyes.gif

I wouldn't want to be the first to find out 5w20 reduces engine life by xx%. Who knows, there isn't enough time on the market to know for sure how well it protects. The only reason companies are going to 5w20 is because of CAFE requirements. If the decision was driven by engine durability I wouldn't be as skeptical but it's not.

quote:

rolleyes.gif

Jay, I took his statement to mean that film strength of a 20-weight would be less than a 30-weight, assuming other characteristics are the same, and this is true. It's also true that Honda doesn't recommend 50 through 70weight oils for this engine, nor grease. They recommend 5W20 for the US only, and 5W30, 10W30, and 5W40 for the rest of the world using the same engine outside the direct influence of CAFE.

It might turn out that xW20 is a great evolutionary step but let's not get carried away before we have data for more vehicles. Certainly not all vehicle engines are approved for its use yet and a number have warnings against.

David

exactly, these 5w20 oils are quite new on the market whereas the good ol 5w30 and 10w30 have been around for quite some time. We'd just feel better going with a slightly heavier weight oil like we've used in past cars with no problems at all, not some new fangled lightweight oil with little time on it to see how well it actually does over time.

--Matt

If one were to do oil analysis on 5w20, and see that in their engine the wear numbers are good, then it's safe to say that their engine isn't going to self destruct sooner than it should.

Like I said, I used to be very skeptical about 5w20, however if I owned a car that called for it, I'd use it and see how the analysis results turned out, then run a comparison test with 5w30 to see which results were better.

Absolutely, a Honda driven in Ohio by grandparents. Not likely to have problems either way. Matt, let me know when they're going to sell.
smile.gif
It's the older designs or severe duty situations I'm concerned about, and any shotgun approach to standards adoption. Still, I would love to be a fly on the wall in one of those meetings where Honda & Toyota (& how many others?) decided to limit 5W20 to the US. (and Canada?)

[ December 20, 2002, 06:29 AM: Message edited by: OneQuartLow ]

hmm, my grandparents aren't the usual sunday drivers. they're in their 60's and just starting to have fun. My grandpa speeds all the time. They just want an oil that will work in their camry and their odyssey so that they can buy it by the case at a discount.

--Matt

I detect irony here. Good thread, good laughs but ironic none the less.

quote:

...honda odyssey. The retarded thing calls for 5w20. Obviously, 5w20 oils are garbage for engine protection. Would using a slightly heavier oil like a 5w30 or 10w30 have any negative effects on the car or the warranty? I/they really don't want to run synthetic in that car just to have decent protection.

The manual is your friend. You must follow it to the T.

Obviously a 5W-20 oil is garbage? Based on? Oh that's right, the thicker the better. I ruined a Datsun 510 engine when I was 16 using Castrol 20W-50 with this logic. As Patman says (have I ever disagreed with thatman?) - look at the wear numbers!!!

Yes everyone here says the manual is the bible, and cannot be subject to interpretation.
rolleyes.gif

Lastly, check out Amsoil XL-7500 5W-20. Full API certification to keep the warranty fully intact.

Pablo, put the Morissette cd's down and leave the party now!
 -

I like results, and I know we've seen a few that look good, but does anyone here know why we're the only ones using the stuff? If someone says "read the owners manual" again I'll pop. (Immediately after pointing them to conflicting Japanese/European versions.)

Edit:
nono.gif
No, you can't use the Autobahn theory for Japan.

[ December 20, 2002, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: OneQuartLow ]

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
The manual is your friend. You must follow it to the T.

Can't tell if this is humor or your viewpoint.

Obviously, deviate from the manual at your own risk. But please, look at the thickness of a 5w30 and 5w20 at 100C and compare to the thickness at 40C. Both oils flow very well when at operating temp and less well when cold.

I would be hesitant to use a 10w30 or even a 10w20 (if they made one). I can't imagine how a 5w30 would do anything bad to an engine with 5w20 on the oil filler cap. If worried use an oil on the low range for w30. Examples include Mobil 1. Use caution with a "high mileage" 5w30 because they tend to be thicker.

All is my humble opinion.

cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back