Odd vehicles in odd locations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone uses this Opel truck as private vehicle in SF. It's a former German fire (gear/supply) truck. It appears to be a '60s model by the looks of it, but I wouldn't know, as it's from way before my time.

Note the seal of the "Volunteer Fire Brigade -- Town (of) Viechtach." That small town is in the Bavarian Forest and pretty much rural hinterland. How that truck got here is a mystery.

I also see an old former Bundeswehr (Federal Armed Forces) Mercedes Benz UNIMOG truck that a local locksmith uses as his work truck here in SF, but I have never gotten to snap a picture of it. Not yet, at least...

-

[ July 25, 2006, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

Two more oddities:

-

Leperchaun (Elf's cousin?) plumber in SF. Nice Metro truck!

-

Pepsi promo truck in SF. Bling bling!

Feel free to post pictures of any unusual vehicles in this thread.

Addmittedly not a very good picture, but I was suprised to see these school busses (we certainly dont have ones like that on the east coast!) going around L.A. when I was out there last November. Seems pretty old-fashioned:

-

I still see Coach school buses. If they can last 20 years or more with hordes of 5th graders doing daily damage, those buses must truly be overbuilt.
grin.gif

-

Not my pic.

Goes with the possibly true description

1985 Blue Volkswagen Golf
Only 15 km
Only first gear and reverse used
Never driven hard
Original tires
Original brakes
Original fuel and oil (!)
Only 1 driver
Owner wishing to sell due to employment lay-off

I've seen that plumbing truck many times. Pepsi truck must be from the Puff Daddy commercial, must be hard loading and unloading the soda. That UNIMOG truck you are referring to, I think I have seen it. Is it the one that has a trailer on back too? There used to be a JITNEY bus that runs around downtown, don't know if it still runs though.

I used to see the UNIMOG parked a couple blocks from Cliff House. I never saw it with a trailer.

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
Addmittedly not a very good picture, but I was suprised to see these school busses (we certainly dont have ones like that on the east coast!) going around L.A. when I was out there last November. Seems pretty old-fashioned:

Here's why you still see a lot of those old ones around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Coach_Corporation

Another old California school bus company that built busses that lasted along time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillig#Historical_preservation_of_Gillig_school_buses

Check out the mid-engine location on some of them.

[ July 26, 2006, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: XS650 ]

-

Look closely and you can see my lovely "Bright Jade" Cherokee beneath the firs, pines and spruces on the eastern side of the Cascades. No Sasquatch this time, though I saw some deer.

my dads got a landrover JUST like this one.

-

actually hes got 2, but ones been restored and is nice daily driver. the second one has a bent frame so we took the aluminum body off and we are in the process of fitting the aluminum rover body onto an 84 chevy blazer 4wd frame thats been shortened 15 inches to accomidate the short wheelbase of the rover. did i mention a 6.5 litre turbo diesel? the blazer suspension has also been lifted 6 inches. we have some big monster truck size tyres for it. we hope to make a moderate speed sport ute with enough grunt to do some rock crawling and river crossings, general 4wd stuff.

its not too often you see an old rover, thats why he likes em.

Hey Mark, maybe your Jeep can pass as turqouise. Paint "NUMA" in white on it and see if leads to adventures.
grin.gif

If you're not familiar with Clive Cussler, well, then ignore my comment!
smile.gif

Some fellow's been camping out in his Hummer near the beach in SF for months here. Do I see a homemade UAV's wings on the roof? I tell you, were are headed for a Mad Max culture.
wink.gif

-

-

quote:

Originally posted by Master ACiD:
my dads got a landrover JUST like this one.

-

I rode about a 100 miles in the boonies of Thailand in one like that last year. The driver said it was about 40 years old. It never missed beat, but did beat the passengers a bit
grin.gif

I had a really low powered diesel, but ran clean and always got us where we were going.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
I tell you, were are headed for a Mad Max culture.
wink.gif

Sounds like fun.
My family will be the ones in a lifted 4WD Dodge Travelall with alfoil covering the windows (in daylight hours).

[ August 07, 2006, 04:20 AM: Message edited by: Shannow ]

In case my plans for repulsor lift conversion with deuterium drive don't work out, how many burros will it take to get my Audi to make steady 15 mph?
tongue.gif

-

My trail vehicle in the Canadian Rockies.....small mud hole.

'75 Bronco...brought back from dead (by rust) in a farmer's field by yours truly.

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back