Odd Redline results

Status
Not open for further replies.
i had ordered redline p/s fluid for my '96 vette. i auto-x it and change the fluid frequently. after placing the order, someone at redline told me they prefer their D4 ATF in my year corvette. i emailed myoilshop and they changed the order prior to shipment.

immediately after swapping to the D4 atf, i noticed a metallic, random jingling noise from the front of the engine. even though i happened to notice this immediately upon starting the engine after the p/s fluid swap, i figured i just never noticed the noise before and it was a coincidence.

over the past 1000 miles or so, the noise became worse. i started to worry that it was something internal to the engine, sounding like it was coming from the timing chain cover area (the p/s pump is in the same general area). since the water pump had just started to leak a tiny bit, i thought i'd change it, hoping its bearings were going. but, no change in noise after the new pump.

this weekend, on a whim, i swapped the p/s fluid back to the GM recommended part number (i think it's labeled "cold temperature synthetic p/s fluid," or something similar). start the engine, and no noise. gone.

2 coincidences of this magnitude make me think the redline was causing the noise. i have no idea why.

just fyi.

-michael

Maybe any ATF in your power steering unit would have the same effect.
dunno.gif
I use RP max-ez in my GM PS units, and it works great. I can't imagine that the redline PSF would be any worse.
dunno.gif

...I would be curious what the Redline tech had to say about it. The D4 is recommended for the Corvette T-56 trans also. Do you think that it may be to heavy for your PS?

i do wonder if it's not all in the viscosity, ya. but then, why would redline specifically recommend that for my car? note that they recommend their ps fluid for early C4s, and for C5s, the D4 ATF only for LTx engined C4s. just odd.

-michael

Maybe another email to their tech folks would clear things up. They must have recommended it for your application based on experience. It's odd you would get such a drastic difference in function though with the 2 fluids. Did you notice if the D4 fluid was foaming in the pump before you removed it? An aerated fluid may cause pump noise. Any chance of an over/underfilling? Maybe the stuff has too much of the slipperiness additive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back