Odd question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used oil in a new clean engine for lets say 2000-3000 miles, easy use. Then change it because the warranty states a 6 month OCI or 7500 miles which ever comes first? Now since we know this oil is still probably clean loaded with good additives, and maybe a little junk from use, but. Drain it into a clean container, and use it for make up oil in an older car, or possibly as a fill for an older car, using a new filter?

My buddy is doing just that and I sort of think its not a totally bad idea.

AD

No, Never use old motor oil. No matter how new the engine is... there can be filings of metal not visable to the naked eye, may not be the specified weight for the other vehicle. Think of a blood transfusion, you would not want contaminated blood that may not be your blood type.

I wouldn't re-use the oil from any new vehicle. They shed a lot metal for the first several thousand miles.

I have filtered and re-used my Auto-RX clean phase oil in my dads car with a couple added quarts of fresh oil with no ill effects.

Originally Posted By: adibigs
there can be filings of metal not visable to the naked eye,

If the metal particles are big enough to be harmful, they will be captured by the oil filter. And if they're small enough to go through the filter, then they're too small to be harmful, IMO.

With that said, I would not do this on any of my cars, but if I had some old clunker that consumed oil as quickly as gasoline, then I might consider it.

The donor car has about 6000 miles on it, the recipient has about 175,000 and is using about 1 qt of oil/3000 miles. I had told him to use 1 qt at a time as make up oil vs using the whole 5 qts. JMO

Thanks for the replies keep'em coming.

AD

I would never do this myself. It just seems like a step back.

For top off oil just get a cheap "store brand" (ie: Orielly's) oil in same grade a top off.

My buddy is the type of guy that wants to use top shelf synthetic oil, then run the OCI as stated in the OM. In effect he's dumping good oil way too soon, this is a way for him to justify it.

AD

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
My buddy is the type of guy that wants to use top shelf synthetic oil, then run the OCI as stated in the OM. In effect he's dumping good oil way too soon, this is a way for him to justify it.

AD

It is a good plan to me. Use high quality synthetic in newer car but change early (about half way), then use that old but still good synthetic oil in a beater.

The more I think about it the better it sounds. I told him make sure the catch container is clean. Then when he pours the oil into the other engine, get a funnel strainer that is used for straining paint before it goes into an HVLP sprayer. That catches some really fine junk as well. A good added measure of protection, and less waste of good oil.

AD

I've done it but only with synthetic from my car and used it to top off a 230,000 mile work vehicle that was going to rust away before the engine would die.

A friend of mine used to change out the M1 in his Malibu at 2000 miles. I gladly put his used oil in my old beater Blazer.

I would have no problem using "good" used oil in a beater, but the PITA of filtering, storing and being careful to me is not worth the cost.

My buddy has a Fomoto valve, he puts a hose on it and drains the oil into a 5 qt jug. The filtering part is easy, the paint spray strainer fits into a funnel.

AD

I've thought many times about putting my 4,000 mile ACD into my mother's 100,000 mile Bonneville that we're getting rid of in a year. The only reason I don't is I always forget to use a clean catch can. I think the OP's idea is a great one for a beater. You can satisfy your own oil OCD and at the same time use it for all it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back