Odd oil change procedure per alleged Subaru TSB is you use one of their substitute filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe related to some of these engines almost never going above 2800rpm? I guess lots of modern many speed auto and CVT engines are kept at quite low rpms. I dunno, I think giving the engine a few revs before changing the oil with dirty still in there is not a bad idea, but what changes when you put new oil in?

Maybe related to some of these engines almost never going above 2800rpm? I guess lots of modern many speed auto and CVT engines are kept at quite low rpms. I dunno, I think giving the engine a few revs before changing the oil with dirty still in there is not a bad idea, but what changes when you put new oil in?

They must never get on the highway much. I can wind the little 2.5 up to 4K getting on the interstate onramp....

Although you might be onto something. Around here at least the average Subaru owner is 65+. Last time I was at the dealer service department everyone else in the waiting room had 30+ years on me... :oops:

check out the motorcycleinfo.calsci.com that surely pertains to all oil filters!!

I'll bet you can fool the engine by draining the new oil, catching it in a clean container, and then putting it back in. But let's not say it too loudly in case the engines are listening. :unsure:

This TSB doesn't make any sense to me. The only way it would make sense would be that you're flushing something bad out of the filter. And that doesn't make any sense either.

They must never get on the highway much. I can wind the little 2.5 up to 4K getting on the interstate onramp....

Although you might be onto something. Around here at least the average Subaru owner is 65+. Last time I was at the dealer service department everyone else in the waiting room had 30+ years on me... :oops:
Somedays if I'm not in a hurry I just play the mileage game and even at 20% throttle the rpms don't stray much above 2000rpm and on a level road that will get you up to 60mph, eventually. For sure to get moving relatively quickly its got to rev a bit.
I just find it fun to get up near 40mpg on a country drive in mid size AWD gas wagon.

These engines have the oil filter sitting *on top* of the engine, over a foot above the sump. You need high rpm to get heavier metal particles up into that filter.

I wonder if it's also to avoid an airlock type of issue...

Not really sure why everyone's so confused about this procedure, it's a common one in the Mazda RX-8 world where an engine is replaced under warranty, and the manufacturer wants as much debris flushed out of the oil and oil cooler system as possible.

So, pretty much, Subaru wants an oil flush performed at the very first 6k mile service, or anytime the engine is opened up, and parts repaired/replaced.
There have been recent issues with Subaru motors being built with too much sealant used at the factory, so this is a way for them to try to flush some of that out of the engine before it gets stuck in the oil pickup screen.

Nothing really to see here, aside from the oddly sized oil filter gasket that can leave a big gap between the oil filter housing, and the oil filter itself.

Not really sure why everyone's so confused about this procedure, it's a common one in the Mazda RX-8 world where an engine is replaced under warranty, and the manufacturer wants as much debris flushed out of the oil and oil cooler system as possible.

So, pretty much, Subaru wants an oil flush performed at the very first 6k mile service, or anytime the engine is opened up, and parts repaired/replaced.
There have been recent issues with Subaru motors being built with too much sealant used at the factory, so this is a way for them to try to flush some of that out of the engine before it gets stuck in the oil pickup screen.

Nothing really to see here, aside from the oddly sized oil filter gasket that can leave a big gap between the oil filter housing, and the oil filter itself.

Ok now I'm not laughing so much about the April Fools Day joke.. thanks for explaining it.. (y)

I think the question is, why is it required with the alternate filter but not the standard one?

I think it required with either filter, not just the temporary low production replacement filter.
That is not what the TSB says:

"...The genuine Subaru alternative oil filter has some features that differ from the prior Subaru filter, requiring additional service procedures
for certain oil changes...."

"...The genuine Subaru alternative oil filter has some features that differ from the prior Subaru filter, requiring additional service procedures
Is it related to bypass pressure of the alternate filter after major engine work?

Don't let the envirogreenies see this TSB. They'll boycott Subaru for wasting oil.

So many still frown upon a 'break-in' oil change or two on a new engine... and Subaru is trying to rinse the engine with clean oil prior to changing out the oil and filter. Oh the humanity!

I only keep factory oil on Hondas until the first scheduled OCI. Everything else that’s “new” gets one at 1K.

Think whatever you want.

Apparently there's 2 sizes for the temp replacement filters. Make sure you are getting the correct size for your application.

Here's a link to a video of a teardown of the original Subaru Filter, the new Temporary replacement filter, and the higher quality Japanese Tokyo Roki filter that is used in the Japanese market for the same engines.

The differences between the temp filter is the use of metal end caps, the plastic e-core center support, and a square sealing o-ring.
OEM Subaru uses cardboad end caps, metal center support, and the rounded sealing o-ring.
There also appears to be a lighter relief valve spring in the temp filter compared to the OEM Subaru filter.

So, no legitimate reason for the whole "extra service procedures" nonsense.

HINT:
If you want a better filter for your Subaru engine, but don't want to pay for an imported Japanese Subaru filter, go to your local Mazda dealer and buy an RX-8 oil filter, instead!

BC.

Don't let the envirogreenies see this TSB. They'll boycott Subaru for wasting oil.
That's funny and while not all Subaru owners are "green friendly", a lot actually seem to be (nothing against that either). There's a nearby village that's home to a tiny, liberal arts university and my kids and I play a game of "count the Subarus and Priuses". There are A LOT !!

.....now board an Artemis rocket and orbit the moon once but DO NOT descend to the lunar surface...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back