Odd oil change procedure per alleged Subaru TSB is you use one of their substitute filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supposedly Subaru is having difficulty stocking certain oil filters and lists substitutes in TSB 02-191-22
If you use the substitute filter, they recommend that you:
1) Change the oil but not the filter
2) Rev the engine several times
3) Change the oil again and this time the filter

What are they trying to accomplish? Apparently to get something out of the engine.

I just did the first oil change on our Crosstrek - so this caught my interest. I did notice that the original oil filter was completely empty when I removed it.

Reading through this a bit more, the TSB says to use this procedure only when performing maintenance circumstance A or B. Those circumstances are:

1669752554627.jpg

I dont understand the reason for that procedure. It makes no sense at all.

It's a weird one. The only thing I can figure is they are not as confident with the aftermarket filter as their own, so they want an extra flush done at the first OCI. Or, maybe they know the aftermarket ones will bypass more and want to flush for the same reason.

...The genuine Subaru alternative oil filter has some features that differ from the prior Subaru filter, requiring additional service procedures
for certain oil changes....
o_O

If you do not follow the TSB recommendations the engine may fall out?

I have changed the oil for the first time at 4800 miles on wife's 2021 Crosstrek (and the 2016 Crosstrek before that) using the normal drain the oil then change the filter then fill with fresh oil and start engine and check for leaks.

What does the TSB say about the Fumoto valve I installed on both.

My wife's Forester is due for its first OCI in about a month, which was included for free with the vehicle. I highly doubt the dealer will follow this procedure, but I guess we'll see. Maybe they'll have Subaru filters again by then.

I do have one of the OEM Subaru filters left by the time I need to change that one I’m thinking this shortage will be done but if not I’ll uses Purolator or Wix. I think the OEM is a Fram. I agree that service bulletin is very odd.

This is one of those cases where you buy the WIX or NAPA Gold alternative filter.
57055 or 57712 depending on the Subaru part number.
To heck with wasting that oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back