Odd insurance question

The wife’s brother bought a boat without a place to park it. He originally asked my wife if he could store it in our pole barn. She told him we didn’t have the room.

Now he wants to park it here, but (I’m assuming) outside. Minus all the inconveniences that entails and us really not having the room....
There's lots of ways to say no.

Simply tell him "sorry, no. We still don't have the room that hasn't changed since you asked yesterday"

Then give him the list of boat storage places you looked up.

Then if he asks again tell him your insurance company advised you not to do it.

Then if he asks again and is the kind of guy that won't accept that he can't always get what he wants for free, sigh and tell him you guess you can do it, and quote him a price double what the storage places want and require a year in advance. "It's for insurance; and here, sign this paper that says we have zero liability. My notary is waiting."

That should solve it.

First off I would never ask a family member if I could park my boat on their property. Second, if I said no to my BIL and he no longer talked to me, oh well.

You have no insurable intrest in the boat so your insurance would not cover it at all. And unlike the rest of the people that posted I am an license dall lines adjuster in texas and a licensed appraiser in PA NY SC NC VT DE and CT

As others have said, no is a complete sentence. Just be honest, you do not feel comfortable with the boat on your property and don't want it to damage your relationship.

If saying no damages your relationship, you didn't have much of a mutual relationship to start with and you are not losing much.

What does your wife have to say about the situation? Her initial reply seems to indicate she doesn't want it there either.

Again, no is a complete sentence.

I live in the middle of Iowa where land is plentiful, and I could never find storage for my boat for that price...more like triple, even for a small bass boat.

That's because Iowa sucks. I live in a city of 30k people and within a 30 minute drive, I can find 20 places to rent under $50/mo for boat/RV storage. :)

That's because Iowa sucks. I live in a city of 30k people and within a 30 minute drive, I can find 20 places to rent under $50/mo for boat/RV storage. :)

With the weather we have had this spring, I am starting to think the same.

We all have our +'s and -"s...but Iowa is home for me for now.

Dad has storage units for his trucks and parts Datsun while his garage is being built. I think he’s paying around $175 for a 15x30. Completely fenced in. 7am to 7pm entry only. It’s a good place. They’re customers of my employer too. I think the boat would need that size. 20’ boat. 4’-ish for the tongue and whatever else for the engine.

Anyways, my wife and I agreed on things. I told her my concerns (and she agreed,) and let her make the decision. If she said yes, I was going to get with our insurance for the next step just to make certain I’m in the clear. She ended up telling him no.

Iowa sucks. Lol

I’d rather take a beating than live in town. That’s just my take on things.

If brother can afford a boat, he can afford to put it someplaces besides your pole barn or yard.

If you wanted a boat sitting around on your property you would already have one, and I'm guessing you don't.

Fenced, electronic security gate, cameras, storage units and boat/RV storage, 5 minutes with traffic from my home, $35 a month with auto draft for our boat.

Back