Odd happenings after suspension work, any insight?

I just recently replaced my LCA's and Sway Bar End Links. I've now noticed two things, the car steers effortlessly - as in there is zero resistance in the steering wheel. It's almost as if I'm on an alignment rack with those swivel plates or on an icy road. I've been told this is normal with moog ball joints and not to worry. (I ended up getting moog control arms) There is no play in the steering, it is very responsive. Castle nuts were tightened, then I kept turning them until the bottom of the cotter pin hole was visible though the notch in the nut. Ball joints were also greased.

The other issue is that when I corner at higher speeds - 20-25ish mph - the car has a bit more understeer that I'm used too. I'm assuming this is due to the longer sway bar end links. I used the moog K700527. I know those speeds are a little high but I had no issues before the sway bar end link install.

Car is currently at a shop getting checked for a transmission leak under warranty, and I asked the shop owner to check the control arms over for me just to make sure everything was done properly. But I'm wondering what the issue could be?

It's worth mentioning I haven't had an alignment yet so that could be my issue with the effortless steering.

I just recently replaced my LCAs and Sway Bar End Links. I've now noticed two things, the car steers effortlessly - as in there is zero resistance in the steering wheel. It's almost as if I'm on an alignment rack with those swivel plates or on an icy road.
The other issue is that when I corner at higher speeds - 20-25ish mph - the car has a bit more understeer that I'm used too. ....
It's worth mentioning I haven't had an alignment yet so that could be my issue with the effortless steering.

Don't you think you haven't answered your own question?
Check tires pressures as well regardless the shop should do
it before performing the alignment.

Out of alignment for sure, did you tighten the control arm bushing through bolt when it was under the weight of the car? The donut bushing doesnt matter.
No I didn't. I told the transmission shop that I didn't tighten anything under load so I'm sure he'll check everything over. I just went by a few YouTube mechanic tutorials.

Believe me I know how you feel. I have been on the aftermarket parts merry go round a few times over the years and its no fun and it gets expensive and time consuming.
For that reason I only use OE for control arms and a few other suspension parts. Replacing bushings in this salt belt area is not really an option, the parts get so rotten.

Think I may have found my issue. Half hour of studying alignment angles online lead me to info about excessive toe-out. It can lead to highly responsive steering and understeer.

I'll be getting the car aligned once I get it back.

Toe-out is no fun. The car won't have much sense of direction like you said. Can be dangerous to drive, it will be prone to "push" in a turn.

Way too much positive caster.

Why?

Toe is by far the most likely as it's by far the most noticeable (even a couple of minutes off).
Get an alignment performed and post sheet. Before that's done anything is speculation (which includes my own).

Toe-out is no fun. The car won't have much sense of direction like you said. Can be dangerous to drive, it will be prone to "push" in a turn.

Some toe-out on front makes steering feel numb (causing a delay), but isn't necessarily 'dangerous'. Toe-out (instead of toe-in) on rear is actually dangerous, since it's making for oversteer.

Got the car back today, steering feels fine now. I guess the ball joints weren't tight enough?

It could have been the alignment, OR it took your brain a while to get used to the new bushings links etc... Id bet the car feels tighter and more responsive with the new parts.

Did it go on an alignment machine? Did you get before and after alignment numbers?

Back