Odd electrical issues, 2005 Honda CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rarely start a new thread as I've been lucky with my vehicles. Here's what's up on my 2005 CR-V:

About 6 weeks ago, I noticed my headlights/interior lights were flickering in rhythmic fashion. It wasn't random and the durations were all the same. It would come and go (sometimes not flickering at all). I had the electrical system tested at my local mechanic and they said the battery was weak. So, I went to Advance Auto right after that, where I had purchased a new battery about 18 months prior. They told me the entire charging system was working just fine and didn't try to sell me anything. So I left it as-is.
It started up fine during all the cold weather locally, and the battery light has never come on, meaning the battery is getting charge.
As of last Wednesday, the airbag light keeps coming on soon after beginning driving. It's not EVERY time, but about 80% of the time.
As of yesterday, all three amber stability control lights were very briefly flickering on and off at the same time. It's only done that a few times and it's random.

If the alternator was bad, it wouldn't be charging the battery and the battery light would come on.......if the battery was bad, why did it fire up my car in sub-zero temps for 6 weeks? It's maddening.

There is a bunch of things that can cause this but if your Air Bag light is coming on I would scan the SRS system for fault codes and see if it indicates a voltage problem along with the ECU etc.
If it does then I would check for electrical problems like bad grounds, corroded wiring terminals, bad alternator that has an intermittent problems, chewed wiring from rodents etc.

Last edited:
The charging system testing fine at the time of their test. The variable here is time and most likely culprit is your charging system is dying/weak or battery is failing.

I had a 2004 CR-V. A couple things come to mind from my memories of possible CR-V electrical glitches from that time period; the load sense resistor in the electric box under the hood, and the main relay. Check the screws on the load sense resistor and make sure they are clean and tight. Follow the lead from the battery to the fuse box under the hood, the load sensor should be the first thing attached to that.

An iffy Autozone battery tester tried to say that the battery, starter, AND alternator on my '08 CR-V were all faulty, and as I recall the Honda procedure for testing the alternator involved loading it with a load tester and checking if the voltage was holding at at least 14.2 volts at idle. I didn't have a load tester, so I improvised by turning on everything electrical I could turn on (lights, foglights, rear defroster, air conditioning, wipers, interior lights, radio) and ran my 12 volt air compressor from the lighter plug.

Go back to AA and ask them to load test the battery if you don't have your own load tester.

Go from there.
Then check all the cables as suggested above.
Check the specific Honda forum and see if there is any quirk for this particular 2005 CR-V.
The Honda forum will have more information than a generic forum designed for oil heads.

Last edited:
You need to check for AC ripple current at the battery. It sounds like you have a diode failing in the alternator, happens all the time on those denso alternators. Plan on replacing it.

Your warning lights are coming on because of AC voltage being introduced into the system, most likely. This will cause all of the modules to freak out.

I had a similar issue with a 2001 Civic, my SRS light was coming on and my headlights kept going out. Turned out to be the alternator's regulation circuit, I was measuring over 15V (I can't remember exactly what it was), but it was too high, triggering faults in the SRS system and over driving the headlights. The LED that LazyDog mentions sound like it could be a possibility too, relatively common on early Honda Elements, which probably share many parts with your CRV.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I still believe in my gut it's the alternator, probably doing the over-voltage thing. I'm scheduled to head to an indy mechanic my dad used that's highly rated on Wednesday morning. Free loaner car!
I'll report back.

Turns out it was a broken negative-side cable that wasn't grounded any longer. Problem properly diagnosed and fixed without throwing parts at a non-issue! If anyone wants the shop name here, PM me. Highly impressed by everything they've done today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back