Odd but effective "lube" tip for your whacker

Good advice. I learned another one (the hard way). Keep your spool of trimmer line out of the sun. I had to get some new stuff as the old line got "sunned" on through the window and degraded the plastic so it started sticking together in the spool head.

Yes, the Husqvarna manual says to do this, but I bet few people do. When I took mine apart all I had was some SILGLYDE brake lube so i used that. I had to change the head it cracked in half.

I wouldn't use silicone grease.

I am talking about silicone spray lube which is essentially invisible. I use the Amsoil spray but others will work.

Good advice. I learned another one (the hard way). Keep your spool of trimmer line out of the sun. I had to get some new stuff as the old line got "sunned" on through the window and degraded the plastic so it started sticking together in the spool head.
You also can soak the trimmer line in a bucket of water overnight and it brings back the suppleness of the line.

You know my mom did stand up comedy openers for years, made little money at it and I can come up with some real funny stuff if allowed.

I'm just glad nobody's requesting pics.
This is what I use:

als-sp.jpg

Amsoil Silicone Spray

Thanks! I'll have to give this a try.

As long as we are on helpful hints for week wacker heads, I bought 6 spare spools and caps on Amazon. They were very reasonable, and it is difficult to tell any difference between these and the Stihl spools I have.

I load up all the spools at the first of the lawn mowing season. Then when a spool runs out, I just grab another, load it, and I'm on my way in no time.

Great tip.

My wife taught fifth graders and I told her about this thread. You can guess the rest.

Back