OCI's for small engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I started a thread some weeks ago on oil consumption and generators, and there was good recommedation there of using a Rotella 5w-40 synthetic, in lieu of 15-40, due to cold temp. starts.

So I went to Wally World and bought a jug + a quart for all my small engines.

Is there a mandatory annual OCI with these smaller engines with the above oil, even if run hours are not met in the spec's?

Say, my twin cylinder Briggs lawn tractor runs 18-20 hours on the clock, do you still do an annual dump, or can these oils extend?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Why not dump it at end of season? But to answer you: in theory if the TBN still shows an active DP you can leave it in there - esp with a pressure lubed, filtered sump. Maybe look into buying a "home" TBN test kit. That would to save all you guys $$ on UOA where you just need the TBN. Foregoing an (unnecessary) uoa due to cost = esentially a free oil change - unless you are working to extend intervals on an expensive sump dump where the TBN check and part count may be worth it. The giant sump on the new coyote 'stang motor comes to mind alsong with many German engines. Again, A Home TBN Test kit will save you money - AND give you something to post about
smile.gif

Last edited:
I do a yearly OCI as well. I'm sure I'm massively underutilizing the oil. But my opinion... in a residential setting almost all OPE dies from neglect, and maintenance costs literally 5 bucks a year of less.

In my garage, with a push and a rider, a snowblower I go through two quarts of oil a year. UOA wouldn't be cost effective... if you cut the costs in half by proving I could go two year OCI's you'd be saving me a dollar a year.

Last edited:
I usually do one year intervals on my outdoor equipment. Although this year i was way too busy and let everything go. They're filled with T6 5w40 though so i think another year will be fine.

If paranoia gets the best of me i'll change them mid-summer.

I do a yearly OCI, at the start of the season, as well as air filter and sharpening the blade. I'm not going to change the plug this year. It's a new NGK from last season.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Va Runner
It would make sense to me to do my yearly OCI at season end before winter storage. Is that what you do?

Yeah, I just put in my T-6 in 20HP Briggs @ 2 quarts; 28 oz. for 10HP Briggs; 20 oz for 9HP Tecumseh; 20 oz for 3.75 HP Briggs. Took nearly all of my Wally run.

It might be better to do this service until the season starts, because there is some residual oil left behind in the new mix, but someone may forget the crankcase is empty, including myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick R
I do a yearly OCI, at the start of the season, as well as air filter and sharpening the blade. I'm not going to change the plug this year. It's a new NGK from last season.

DITTO... Air filter wise, I usually use longer and do not change until it looks really dirty. During the season, I usually tap it clean every few weeks and it does not get dirty.

I stopped changing the oil in all of my OPE. Between the rider, walk behind mower, pressure washer I am saving both time and money.

Its been several years now, and everything still runs fine. Oil looks clean. I spend less time worrying about small details like oil in my OPE, and more time enjoying free time!

Originally Posted By: Jeepster_nut
Its been several years now, and everything still runs fine. Oil looks clean. I spend less time worrying about small details like oil in my OPE, and more time enjoying free time!

I bet all of us could fill our OPE with a good synthetic and let them go for years, with no adverse problems. These engines are extremely lucky to get one oil change in their whole life, we're on here doing annual intervals with darn good oil, these engines will last longer than us LOL!

If you do some maint *at all* of your small engines they will probably stay alive for a long time. But not forever.

When standing in the line for dumping debris at the local dump last spring, I saw quite a few fairly new mowers on peoples trailers and asked around why they dumped them. Seemed two reasons dominated:
1. Just doesn't start. Don't care why, will get another one.
2. Smokes and spitting oil. B&S and china stuff, like 4-8 yrs old.

The second category is for sure bad maintenance, no new oil and clogged cooling.

So I don't think you can stop do OCIs on these things, but on Bitog, I'm sure we over do it.
15 hrs on synthetic is probably a waste. But the "50 hrs a year on factory fill guys" will need to get new stuff in a few years. Unless they are lucky to get an engine that burns just enough to stay alive on the "add-change" routine...

I generally use "hours" as a guide with 25 being the minimum OCI and 50 hours being the norm. I have many engines that don't see 50 hours a year. So, I simply wait until they've accumulated 25 or 50 hours, depending on the engine.

My 11HP Subaru generator gets 50 hour oil changes with Mobil 1 15W-50. The bush hog gets 25 hour OCI's. Due to operating environment.

The fire pump gets 5W-40 TDT oil, and I change it about every 2- 4 years. Depending on use. Comes out clean and the engine remains perfect.

My small air-cooled stuff doesn't see but 10-30hrs per year. I've only got an acre now and no riding mowers currently in the fleet. Something like my portable generator might go 1-2 years without being started. For that reason I use readily available HDEO's and change oil every 2 years or so.

I check it regularly. The main thing is to maintain a good level.

Joel

My dad has a '95 John Deere walk behind, 4ft wide cut with Kawasaki motor, and he never changed the oil in the last conversation we had... 5-6 years ago. He said, "it always looked clean."

It ran 35 minutes per mow, and 20 mows/annual.

Kinda strange. It was pressure lubed, so maybe that played out here as well.

The Kohler 23hp engine in my Lincoln Welder calls for 100 hour OCI, with the filter changed every 2nd OC. I change out both every 100-125 with synthetic HDEO. Engine runs all day, every day.

I change mine in the fall upon layup (Spring for the snowblower) or whenever the oil gets that black/grayish gritty look / feel. My mower sometimes gets that way during the season if the sun / rain caused a lot of growth and 2x a week mowing. None of my OPE's have filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back