OCI with German Castrol 0W30........Check In!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I couldn't find my old post on this issue, I will ask it again. What is your OCI with German Castrol? My lastest are below in Miles. Thanks for any response!

I've got 6300 miles on GC now in my '00 VW GTI 1.8T, & I'll be draining the GC & getting a UOA at 8000 miles. That will happen in about 3 more weeks.

I ran it (green stuff) for 7900 miles, but more importantly, 1 year and 1 day. Many short trips, some moderate ilding (remote start), and some very cold weather (as low as -20F). I beat the snot out of this oil and it seemed to hold up pretty good.

If you do a search, you'll find the UOA

The last OCI on GC Gold was about 3800 miles. I wanted to send a sample to Blackstone and Terry of M05 so we could have more UOA of Gold data sooner rather than later.

Based on what I hear from Terry in the next few days will determine what my next OCI is.

My previous GC Green OCI was 6033 miles.

I plan to go till my OLM light comes on in the Grand Am. I did a run of 5K on M1 previously and the light never came on, so I'm thinking (hoping) that it will be around 7K before it tells me to change it. I do mostly highway driving, usually 10 miles or more each way, so I think that should accomidate my planned OCI nicely..

Why do you GC users change your oil so often? Such short OCIs?
I thought this stuff was supposed to be the top tier of synthetics.4900 miles - supertech 10W30 can handle that.Lets go 10,000 miles min.

I've used BMW's oil change indicator (OCI). Last time, it was 9,100 miles on my wife's 328i with great results. Terry wanted to see if I would go to 15K, but I'm sticking with the OCI because it's easy and equates to about a year of service on that car.

quote:

Originally posted by rshaw125:
Why do you GC users change your oil so often? Such short OCIs?
I thought this stuff was supposed to be the top tier of synthetics.4900 miles - supertech 10W30 can handle that.Lets go 10,000 miles min.

I would if my warranty allowed it. 7500 is my max allowed.

My last OCI with GC was 6000 miles, but this one now I'll be going 8000. The last OCI in my wife's Honda was 5k, but this one now I'll be going 9 or 10k.

I plan on NOT changing my GC oil until I get a bad UOA. Which could be a Long time, considering that I just added a Bypass Oil Filter when I changed my oil over to GC.
Steve

quote:

Originally posted by SAL:
I plan on NOT changing my GC oil until I get a bad UOA. Which could be a Long time, considering that I just added a Bypass Oil Filter when I changed my oil over to GC.
Steve

I can (almost) hear the elves singing songs of praise to you.......
tongue.gif

98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 4cyl 16V 5sp-43/45mpg average. Ran 10thou miles (90,000 to 100,000miles on car-3Jan05 to 31Mar05) on Castol GC. Iron 28, SUS VIS 65.8-values should be 58-65) TBN 3.3 BLACKSTONE Comments "..found about the same wear ...as last time with Amsoil. This one had a little more iron wear , but less upper-end wear. Overall, wear looks good and we don't see any changes that would indicate a peoblem developing. The TBN read 3.3, so you've still got plenty of active additive left. No moisture or fuel was present in the oil, and we found no coolant. Silicon was normal a 8 ppm, showing no problems at the air filtration/induction system. Your Suzuki is doing well on 10,000mile oil changes" this was 4th 10thou mile sample taken with the first 2 being with M1 than 1 with Amsoil. All 3 passed the 10thou mile sample test with good numbers. TBN M1 were 4.1 & 3.5, Amsoil was 3.9. Iron was higher with M1 38 & 47, Amsoil 10. M1 did not thicken along with no notable change in gas milage in either run but both Amsoil & GC did show thickening along with a notable loss in gas milage(about 1to2mpg) toward the end of each 10thou mile run. I have M1-SM-5w30 in it now and will be testing it mid July along with putting in M1-EP-5w30 at that time for a 10thou run with the possibility of going 15thou.

quote:

Originally posted by bighead:
I did a run of 5K on M1 previously and the light never came on, so I'm thinking (hoping) that it will be around 7K before it tells me to change it.

The oil you use has nothing to do with when the oil light will come on. Nothing in the oil is measured by the computer. This is calculated based on engine parameters measured by the many sensors on it. None of the sensors meausure oil viscosity or TBN.

I went 11k/6 months twice. No UOA though. I got bit by the ARX bug last summer and have done no long ocis since. There was nothing in my ARX filters, so I guess the GC ran clean. I just took my 2nd hit of M1 T&S and plan on doing a 10k run with a UOA and compare that to a future GC run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back