OCI with German Castrol 0W30........Check In!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by blsnelling:

quote:

Originally posted by bighead:
I did a run of 5K on M1 previously and the light never came on, so I'm thinking (hoping) that it will be around 7K before it tells me to change it.

The oil you use has nothing to do with when the oil light will come on. Nothing in the oil is measured by the computer. This is calculated based on engine parameters measured by the many sensors on it. None of the sensors meausure oil viscosity or TBN.

Yes, I know this. I was simply saying that with my driving style/routine, my OLM allows me to go longer on OCI's. If my OLM didn't come on until 7 or 8K miles on a regular basis, then I know I can run a good syn for that interval. I know it has no way of knowing what type of oil is in there, or what the TBN is. I'm just saying there's no way I'd run a dino for 7-8K. Now if it kept coming on at 3-4K, I'd probably run a dino....

Hi,
from Jan 1997 I had these OCIs (over 8 oil changes) in three different engine families;

Average = 18kkms (11k miles)
High = 24kkms (14.9k miles)
Low = 9.3kkms (9.3k miles)

blsnelling - you said this;
"The oil you use has nothing to do with when the oil light will come on. Nothing in the oil is measured by the computer. This is calculated based on engine parameters measured by the many sensors on it. None of the sensors meausure oil viscosity or TBN."

This is only partly correct - the latest oil sensing devices used on some vehicles do in fact measure both viscosity and (effectively) TBN
and some are oil composition sensitive! The pages are still being writ..................

Regards
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back