OCI question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superbuick96

Site Donor 2023
People suggest 7500-10,000k OCI's with a quality full synthetic. But what if you only average 6-7k a year? Should you go 18-24 months if that is what it takes to reach 7500-10k? After a long cold winter, and a long hot summer I feel the need to drain and refill again, eventhough its usually only been 3K@6 months...

I would do 7.5-10K Miles or 1 year no more for the climate you live in without a UOA (TBN/TAN) to tell you how the oil is holding up.

Oil is cheap, engines are not.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I would do 7.5-10K Miles or 1 year no more for the climate you live in without a UOA (TBN/TAN) to tell you how the oil is holding up.

Oil is cheap, engines are not.
thumbsup2.gif

Although it may be a little wasteful, I feel good about 6 month OCI's. Although Ive kicked around the idea about trying that M1 Advanced protection, and switching to a 1 year OCI.
21.gif

I would honestly invest in doing a UOA after 7.5K/10K miles with a quality synthetic to find out where you stand. If the TBN is still in good standing and the TAN is low, then you will have your answer!

If you are going to do 6K miles / 6 Months or less then you could get away with a quality Dino or syn-blend!
wink.gif

Use an affordable good synthetic you can get cheap like Penzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, Valvoline Synpower, Kendall GT1, etc... at Wal-Mart in bulk or on sale at a parts store. 5 Qts should cost you less than $25 this way and possibly even under $20. Find a decent sale and you can even get a filter included in that $25 or less range. Pepboys recently had 5 Qts of Kendall GT1 and a filter for $19.99.
thumbsup2.gif

IMO, do a 6 month OCI and then change the oil. For $50 or less a year, based on your mileage, you can use synthetic and do 2 OCI's. UOA's are nice but for what it costs to mail the sample and pay for the tests it is more than an oil change.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back