OCI, Oil Quality and gasket life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a relationship between these 3? I have been doing 5,000 mile OCI's for 90,000 only to have a weeping rocker cover gasket on my camry. Seems like the extra OCI didn't do much?

Shockingly, some parts don't last forever. How old is this low mileage Camry? Does is sit out all day in the sun, or nestle in a cozy garage? How's the climate in your "world"? Believe it or not, all these things, and many others, affect component durability....not just your choice of oil & OCI.

At op:nope!not directly at least!but it does act as a carrier (albeit unwillingly.the issue might be ethanol.why might?because I had gasket issue and yes it was caused the bio part in diesel fuel.at 2% biodiesel you won't have gasket issue because of bio.I would assume same thing that affected my truck probably also affect ethanol gas.since I haven't real data for car I extended my truck finding to cars.but oil isn't the issue directly itself.idea amount of bio and/or ethanol?1% is best!why not 0%?lubricity issue(ulsd or unleaded etc cause lubricity issue)

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
At op:nope!not directly at least!but it does act as a carrier (albeit unwillingly.the issue might be ethanol.why might?because I had gasket issue and yes it was caused the bio part in diesel fuel.at 2% biodiesel you won't have gasket issue because of bio.I would assume same thing that affected my truck probably also affect ethanol gas.since I haven't real data for car I extended my truck finding to cars.but oil isn't the issue directly itself.idea amount of bio and/or ethanol?1% is best!why not 0%?lubricity issue(ulsd or unleaded etc cause lubricity issue)

No, of all the things that Ethanol is demonized for... it won't make your gaskets leak in normal use. It doesn't even directly touch any oil wetted ones and should be able to be handled normally with pcv consumtion of vapors in any normal, modern system.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Shockingly, some parts don't last forever. How old is this low mileage Camry? Does is sit out all day in the sun, or nestle in a cozy garage? How's the climate in your "world"? Believe it or not, all these things, and many others, affect component durability....not just your choice of oil & OCI.

These types of things make ALOT MORE OF A DIFFERENCE !!

BurrWinder

A single weeping gasket at 90k isn't a big deal.

Parts do wear and fail, of course. And gaskets thrive in a car that is used regularly; cars that sit for extended periods seem more likely to suffer from leaks.

In any event, you have three choices: 1) live with it 2) have it fixed or 3) try a high mileage oil like Valvoline MaxLife to see if can rejuvenate the leaky gasket.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
Is there a relationship between these 3? I have been doing 5,000 mile OCI's for 90,000 only to have a weeping rocker cover gasket on my camry. Seems like the extra OCI didn't do much?

Come on 5000k OCI is not extra or over servicing.
Its about right.

In OZ most recommend 6 months or 10000km or (6667 miles).

What year is the Camry ?.

Heat hardens the cover gasket. Bolts stretch with time. Vibrations may loosen nuts.

Tighten the rocker cover nuts or bolts. Use a torque wrench.

It is unavoidable, and it seems to happen to 4V cylinder heads most often.

If you wait too long, it will destroy the spark plug wires, coil boots, or individual coils. Often the spark plug tubes leak before the valve cover leaks outside where you can see it.

What is the age of the car? I am used to see gaskets leak at 9 years, unless the car was equipped with bad gasket designs.

9 year old car this december. It's a 2AZ-FE motor.

Mostly garaged. Hot and humid climate. Short Trips.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I do 10K OCIs in both Fords and my engines weep no oil at all.

I wouldn't expect a 2007 vehicle to be leaking.
smile.gif
Both of my cars from the 1990s do have small leaks, though I've been meticulous about my oil changes, as were the previous owners. I think age has a lot to do with it.

Today I had the indicator stalk pack up on me... turned it down.. instead of tick-tick-tick... just dead...

Seriously disappointed in Toyota. On top of hydraulic belt tensioner seal leak also a couple of years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back