OCI Interval question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the deal, I live very close to work and drive home late at night and my 99 Tacoma never warms up. During the day, I make lots of shorter trips and some longer where the motor reaches temperature. I barely do any highway driving though. Could I use a Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge for one year safely? I drive about 8K per year? Thanks.

Very likely, but verify with a UOA. You may be served better by a HDEO simply for the augmented TBN, ie: Delvac-1, Mobil-1 heavy duty, ExxonMobil XD-3 synth, etc. if TBN depletion is a problem with so many repeated short intervals.

you could do that sure,but you will need to run that truck up to op temp(take on a good drive)a few good times during the OCI to burn off the fuel an moister.

I would still do an oil change at least every six months regardless of mileage. Short trips can beat up your engine too. I would change your oil seasonally. Maybe one oil change in the spring and one in the fall. Or one in the summer and one oil change in the winter.

Some people also do a bit of other maintenance at their oil change intervals like adding grease or lubing joints and fittings. I do these things twice a year or so. If you choose to only do one oil change a year, make sure you take the time to complete the other little things here and there. A lot of garages do these things for free and many people new to DIY oil changes forget about them.

My mother does 5-block commutes all the time, and has over 110k miles on her 97 plymouth breeze, running M1 with good UOAs.

Id make sure to get it on the highway for a 40-50 mile drive now and again.

I would change it every 6 months with a conventional instead, or a lower priced synthetic such as Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State Q or Valvoline SynPower.

I ran my Jeep like that for a few years. In your case I would use Amsoil 5W30 ASL and change the oil very October. You really should get the car out for a good drive a couple of times a month to burn any fuel or water out of the oil. Other wise the 5W30 XL every six months is more in line.

Originally Posted By: 360kid
I would still do an oil change at least every six months regardless of mileage. Short trips can beat up your engine too. I would change your oil seasonally. Maybe one oil change in the spring and one in the fall. Or one in the summer and one oil change in the winter.

Some people also do a bit of other maintenance at their oil change intervals like adding grease or lubing joints and fittings. I do these things twice a year or so. If you choose to only do one oil change a year, make sure you take the time to complete the other little things here and there. A lot of garages do these things for free and many people new to DIY oil changes forget about them.

+1

+1...on OCI and Lube.

My wife has a similiar drive and we are running 6 month OCI's with Pennzoil Platinum, 5w30 at the moment.

Although, with the recent M1 rebates, I have two, 5 quart jugs of M1 0w30 that will be the next 2 OCI's.

What a man did less than 5k per year and were using M1-HM formula changed every spring? That is what I was planning on my non-daily driver 4wd V8?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daman
you could do that sure,but you will need to run that truck up to op temp(take on a good drive)a few good times during the OCI to burn off the fuel an moister.

I was thinking the same thing. Seafoam would help to remove the moisture( main reason it was developed )

If you gonna do that,change the old oil out every Fall so you've got clean oil in over the winter.

Originally Posted By: Keith Z
Here's the deal, I live very close to work and drive home late at night and my 99 Tacoma never warms up. During the day, I make lots of shorter trips and some longer where the motor reaches temperature. I barely do any highway driving though. Could I use a Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge for one year safely? I drive about 8K per year? Thanks.

I'm in the same boat as you... 5 mi to work and back with some longer trips.. highways seldom. I do 6 month intervals (Spring/Fall) with regular dino.. Chevron, Pennz, etc. Once all of my Chevron is gone I might use PZ plat all around, but that will not be for awhile as I have 2 cases to use up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back