OCI impact on timing system failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's 111k mile 2010 GMC Terrain just suffered a major engine issue last week. $1900+ dollars later, it seems to be doing OK, but that hurt.

The 2.4 Ecotec suddenly started running very rough, noisy, and short on power. After a tow to the nearest GMC shop, the techs diagnosed a failure of one or both of the cam actuators/phasers. The timing chain, tensioner, and a fistful of other parts were all replaced.

I asked the lead tech if this was an unusual failure for this engine type. He said he's seen it more than once. He couldn't say the exact cause, put if he had to guess, he'd put the blame on not changing oil frequently enough. He thinks DI kills oil, and maybe the VVT system is a bit of a weak link.

For my part, I have my doubts. Aside from one or two oil changes in the first year with conventional, dealer bulk oil at 4k mile intervals, I've used synthetic Valvoline, Pennzoil Platinum, or M1 at 6000-7500 mi OCIs. That said, I'm spooked and will probably go to 4k or 5k OCIs until we unload the car next year.

What do all of you think? Is the tech just speculating, or might he be on to something?

1900? On a 4 year old car, what in the world is wrong with GM.

Engines now a days shouldn't care about 111k miles, my old Toyotas and Hondas sure don't care about the mileage.

I think you did good on the maintenance side. Probably there has been an issue with that engine. GM has a reputation now for sweeping things under the rug and hoping all will go away.

Originally Posted By: riggaz
That is not an oil related failure, it's component failure.

I'm thinking the tech's remarks about DI might have some merit, although the oil isn't the problem it's the design of the engine.
27.gif
Keep in mind the OP's 2010 was fairly early in the evolution of DI for GM, and they've probably learned a lot more about it since then. Honestly I'm not surprised there's been a lot of discussion about DI over the years, and many of the discussions become heated debates. Hopefully going forward he doesn't have any more problems.

That much work at 111k miles?!? I'd be having a firm discussion with the GM regional representative to cover a chunk of that work. Especially that shortly after the powertrain warranty is up. GM has extended the powertrain warranties on the 3.6 V6 of 2010 vintage for exactly the same issue! Also, timing chain issues with the 2.4 aren't that unheard of. Do a little more research, and see if GM won't reimburse at least a portion of those costs.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
That much work at 111k miles?!? I'd be having a firm discussion with the GM regional representative to cover a chunk of that work. Especially that shortly after the powertrain warranty is up. GM has extended the powertrain warranties on the 3.6 V6 of 2010 vintage for exactly the same issue! Also, timing chain issues with the 2.4 aren't that unheard of. Do a little more research, and see if GM won't reimburse at least a portion of those costs.

That's a good point. There's a slight chance they might goodwill some of the costs since this is a known problem with the timing chain.

I'm a firm believer that OCI's impact tensioner failures...... And depending on the day most BITOG member will agree or disagree. I tried to pay particular attention to my oil choice for our 06 ford 4.0sohc mostly because of this reason.

That being said, I always blame people for running a conventional oil and than depending on the OLM to decide there OCI. I cant imagine a superb synthetic like the ones you mention contributing to the issue (although anything is possible), maybe the PO was not so diligent about the oil ??

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
They reduced the OLM on my daughter's 2011 Equinox from 10,000 max miles to 5,500 miles since it was DI, citing timing chain wear due to fuel contamination of gas.

Case and point !

Originally Posted By: wsar10
They reduced the OLM on my daughter's 2011 Equinox from 10,000 max miles to 5,500 miles since it was DI, citing timing chain wear due to fuel contamination of gas.

Case and point !

Exactly. All the people prior to the OCI reduction thinking everything was fine and dandy might have problems as a result. I think GM should pony up for some of the OP's repair bill.

This is happening with more DI engines. The days of the 7500 OCI seem to be a thing of the past with some of them, 3500 - 5000 seems to be more realistic if its a GM.
Fuel dilution can be a real problem with them and gasoline is not a great lube so the mechanic might be onto something.

OP
In Germany and possibly other Euro countries all GM cars inc ones with this engine spec Dexos 2 with a higher HTHS. Something to think about.

Originally Posted By: Trav

This is happening with more DI engines. The days of the 7500 OCI seem to be a thing of the past with some of them, 3500 - 5000 seems to be more realistic if its a GM.
Fuel dilution can be a real problem with them and gasoline is not a great lube so the mechanic might be onto something.

OP
In Germany and possibly other Euro countries all GM cars inc ones with this engine spec Dexos 2 with a higher HTHS. Something to think about.

I'm thinking Mobil 1 0W40 might be a good oil choice going forward. No warranty issues to worry about.

Pricey, but I dunno. It's a car. It breaks. Sometimes it's a gamble. Would you gripe as much had it been struts and suspension parts for a similar cost?

With the stupid long timing chains I'm very reluctant to shop around on oils.

Not so uncommon on that engine.. Try talking to GM but don't expect much. Call for a free consultation with your local larger lemon law attorney they will know if there is any class action suits or if there is anyway to get your money back. Your state does not have the best lemon laws but they will know things you did not even think of. And best of all it's usually free the car companies pay if you win.

Originally Posted By: wsar10

I always blame people for running a conventional oil and than depending on the OLM to decide there OCI. I cant imagine a superb synthetic like the ones you mention contributing to the issue (although anything is possible), maybe the PO was not so diligent about the oil ??

Not an oil-type solution. Many on the GM forums are as OCD as BITOGers when it comes to the maintenence of their vehicles, hence 'top synthetics' being the only thing to ever touch the fill hole of their Equinox and Traverse, only to suffer the same timing chain fate.

Component and oci issue.

No mate, his engine failure is related to the timing chain tensioner or other component and not oil. His tensioner has failed, the chain has jumped teeth, lost it's timing and valves have maybe hit pistons etc. It's just poor quality component failure.

Originally Posted By: riggaz
No mate, his engine failure is related to the timing chain tensioner or other component and not oil. His tensioner has failed, the chain has jumped teeth, lost it's timing and valves have maybe hit pistons etc. It's just poor quality component failure.

I'm with Trav on this one. It is a combo of a poor design, DI diluting fuel compromising the oil making the situation worse, and some poor parts. Either way it all adds up to the OP having problems and a large out of pocket expense. Even with the new and hopefully better parts I think the OP should rethink his oil choice, and his OCI, he still has the older DI system in that car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back