OCI impact on timing system failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
some engines following the factory oci has been linked to timing chain stretching etc. like the caddy 3.6

This topic is making me nervous about running the factory specified 7.5-10K OCIs in my 2014 Ford Focus (2.0L DI with a timing chain).

Originally Posted By: Tabor
This topic is making me nervous about running the factory specified 7.5-10K OCIs in my 2014 Ford Focus (2.0L DI with a timing chain).

It shouldn't. I've been doing 10K OCIs for years wirh OHC timing chains. At presant no DI, but the Fusion does have VVT and it performs great. It's the OPs engine, not the OCI.

Ok, so how would oil more regular oil change intervals prevent the tensioner from failing or the chain from stretching?

Last edited:
As I've been saying early on when chain timing systems statered to become de rigueur; they are failure prone and tough on oil.

We've had plenty of trouble with TCT and VVT over the past 10 years.

Belts are MUCH better overall for longevity and easing OCI. They ARE a maintenance item, though that does need to be addressed in a timely fashion
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Tabor

I for one haven't heard of this being an issue with Ford. Some Auto Mfrs have done better with their implementation of GDi than others, and with time, they should all be fine. The OP just happens to be saddled with an early GM iteration. Hopefully the fix isn't just a replacement of original parts with the same stuff.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
That much work at 111k miles?!? I'd be having a firm discussion with the GM regional representative to cover a chunk of that work. Especially that shortly after the powertrain warranty is up. GM has extended the powertrain warranties on the 3.6 V6 of 2010 vintage for exactly the same issue! Also, timing chain issues with the 2.4 aren't that unheard of. Do a little more research, and see if GM won't reimburse at least a portion of those costs.

GM won't do [censored]. I woman I know who bought a 2008 G8 with failing power steering won't do anything; the car is dangerous to drive and they don't have parts available for the recall. GM refuses to get a loaner for her.

GM's actions of late is WORSE than the abysmal practices that led to their bankruptcy. The next go around, I hope everyone learns their lesson and doesn't bail them out again.

Originally Posted By: riggaz
Ok, so how would oil more regular oil change intervals prevent the tensioner from failing or the chain from stretching?

It will get oil might be fuel diluted out of the sump sooner, which can cause problems a lot worse than a bad timing chain. If GM wasn't concerned why did the shorten the recommended OCI?

Originally Posted By: riggaz

Presumably, you would factor out of the equation any DI-introduced fuel in the oil, and additional shearing, premature depletion of the additive system in the oil, etc. You may be right that the chain will stretch anyway, if it is indeed a weakness in the chain materials. If the problem is related to the tensioner in any way, fresher oil may help prevent it.

Originally Posted By: Danno
FWIW, Hyundai Canada specs 3,750 mile OCI for my 2013 Sonata 2.4L with DI.

All references i could find to that OCi are based on severe Canadian climate...

Example, link below:
http://www.calgaryhyundai.com/Dealersite...2.4L%204cyl.pdf

- Factory recommended oil change interval is based on severe driving conditions for Canadian climate. Please see
your Vehicle Owner's Manual for a detailed list of normal and severe usage recommendations.

Last edited:
Switch to a 0w40. Pennzoil, Mobil1, Castrol, RoyalPurple, Amsoil, LubroLiquiMoly, Delo, and RedLine are some that can be found at local autopart stores, online, or dept stores.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
As I've been saying early on when chain timing systems statered to become de rigueur; they are failure prone and tough on oil.

We've had plenty of trouble with TCT and VVT over the past 10 years.

Belts are MUCH better overall for longevity and easing OCI. They ARE a maintenance item, though that does need to be addressed in a timely fashion
smile.gif

Agreed.
Timing belts don't fail if changed as recommended, they don't care at all about OCIs and they don't contaminate the oil with additional wear metals.
Maybe a belt plus DI would be a good combination?

Originally Posted By: supton
Pricey, but I dunno. It's a car. It breaks. Sometimes it's a gamble. Would you gripe as much had it been struts and suspension parts for a similar cost?

With the stupid long timing chains I'm very reluctant to shop around on oils.

power-train seems to be the "driving" force behind a car you know, it's engineering goes to show you how much time and effort and more then anything what kind of talent...came up with it, to see a 2010 having engine issues? that's pathetic. Suspensions generally seem to be due by 100k, engines on the other hand do not unless its a poorly engineered engine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back