OCI , how many hours of running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by rugerman1:
3 Mad Poncho's:Oil Change Intervals,Paradise Garage

Nice link. The Kublin method gives me a 10,000 mile OCI on my ford 300 cid inline six, guessing at a virgin TBN of 5 for a PCEO and using a 6 qt capacity (filter included). Kublin does not account for type of driving, but I know I am good for 5000 because I do mostly highway. I won't likely go 10,000 unless it goes along with analysis.

I meant 440 gallons!
pat.gif

My 1994 Ford truck owners manual actually lists 200 hours as preferred instead of miles or months when extended idling is involved. This is for gasoline powered engines and conventional oils.

quote:

I already sneer at those who drain expensive synthectics at 5000 miles, 50-100 hours is less miles and even more wasteful.
I mean if you won't at least double the 3000 OCI of a regular dino, you shouldn't bother to use synthetic unless you are in frigid climates.

Don't think you read close enough, he's not using a full synthetic. If the truth was known there is probably no "true" synthetic (Grp. 4) in the Motorcraft 5w20 blend.

quote:

I was being a little facetious with the 400 comment.

Sorry, didn't sound that way to me.

Since we didn't really get a good indication of the climate and his driving style, I'll stick with my original suggestion. It all depends.

I think an hour meter is most valid for an installation that either runs (typically) at one operating range for the vast majority of its life (like a stationary generator) ...or is constantly ranged within its operational limits (like some heavy equipment).

I think the fuel consumption thingie would be interesting, though. Someone quoted some engineer as saying that this is how they measure (or predict) the live of an engine (I'm sure conditions and restrictions apply).

It would be interesting, however, to have miles/hours/gallons of fuel/months data points to plot for comparison.

Come on hardcore lubrication freaks ..ante up
freak2.gif

If it helps for comparison purposes I am about 2 hours shy of 1000 total hours on my 03 silverado and mileage is at 42,000 miles. 15 mile commute to work with half of that stop and go. Many 200-500 mile trips on weekends though.

have been using a hour meter for over 15 years on my vehicles. 200 hours has been the oil change interval I have been using. My last car has over 240+thou on it and still is not using oil between changes. 96 GEO Metro which has re-refined oil it's first 100thou than new dino there after. I average about 42mph with changes happening every 8200/8400 miles along with filter. Years ago when I lived closer to work I only averaged 36mph which got me a 7000/7200mile change at 200hours. Today it's a 98 Suzuki Swift using Mobil1(feel syn oil can handle more time per change)being changed every 250hours/10000 miles with filter change at 5000 just because I have a big stock of them (over 60+).
Read a test years ago where it was stated that Detroit uses a 4000hour test for testing engines for durabuilty which they said simulates 100000thou miles of driving and that the typical driver averages 25mph. Well the 3000 miles oil change that everybody recommends would be at 120hours at 25mph/for me at 42mph that's over 5000 miles. Than I read how Ford recommends a 200hour change interval for the commercal vehicles they sell which gets me to a 8200/8400 mile change at 42mph. I feel a hour meter is a much better way to count engine use time than miles being miles are only counted when moving. You sit and idle at a stoplite-no miles/Mcdonalds-no miles/stop and go driving-very few miles lots of time counted. Freeways driving-lots of miles in relation to stort time intervals(which is said to be easier miles on a vehicle). It all averages out in relation to the type of driving you do.

Well, don't you wish you could not only use an hour meter, but allow for whether those hours were at operating temp or lower or higher, and for engine load, and for what rev's were during each of those hours etc.
Oh, wait a minute, that's what my GM Oil Life Monitor does, and everybody (well nearly) on the site is trashing the OLM because it doesn't come up with their grandpappy's 3000 mile OCI.
confused.gif
dunno.gif
nono.gif
rolleyes.gif
pat.gif

In reference to my 'bolt-on' oil life monitor above, if one were developed for those of us that don't have one on our cars currently, how much would you pay?

Dave

hour meters can be purchased for $20 to $40 from boat supply stores, j.c. whittney, napa etc. They need to be hooked up to a ignition hot wire so as they only work when the engine is running. My car which did not come with AC had a AC plug in it's wire harness not being used and one of it's wires was a ignition hot wire that I hooked it up too along with a ground wire connection. Works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back