OCI for 2004 Cummins iSX

Cummins has good guidelines for it. You need to know exactly which ISX you have and your MPG to know whether your use is considered light, normal, or severe duty.

if you look at the Cummins website they have recommendations for OCI. Worse case do an oil sample and find the sweet spot. Just curious what is the engine in?

I suspect that
1) since the engine is 17yo, it gets low mileage and may be in a “boutique” application like a motorhome.
2) if the above is true it is also low stressed since the GVW is 3) since it’s 2004, not 05 or 06, it may not have EGR.
I have a similar application, a Mercedes OM906LA in a 2005 Unimog U500NA with a high end camper box. The EGR seems to have been relocated mysteriously to my garage. The factory OCI is 700 hrs/15K miles using MB228.3 (many versions of CI4+). Over summers of 2016-17 I drove from Alaska to Halifax, then Antwerp to Mongolia and back (with assistance of roro ships); 25600 miles. With MB228.5 (some forms of ACEA E4) oil, with my typical consumption of 1L/2500 miles (29.6L sump). I of course did an analysis when I drained it when I got home. It could have easily handled a total of 40-60k miles.
In fact Mercedes recommends OCIs of 1200 hrs (1400 in newer iterations of this engine, even with strict emission controls) for non-EGR versions of OM906LA.
Sorry for the digression, but if my 1-2-3 suppositions about the OC Cummins are correct, I think 15000 miles is minimal (>400 hrs). Especially if he/she like me, does very long trips, changes when he or she gets home, and then sits for even years with occasional startups and short jaunts after a good warm-up to evaporate small amounts of condensed water.
PS I have a lube temperature sensor system that reads out temperatures in 8 gearboxes plus engine oil. Engine oil can warm up to ~75C with help of oil cooler (which can also be oil warmer) just in 8-10 miles, assisting in drying effect on condensation water).
I am sure the Cummins has one also.

Last edited:
I had a CM870 (EGR, but no DPF/DEF) ISX in a toterhome style motorhome. At the low loads and mostly highway driving, the Cummins recommended OCI was 25K miles. I did it at 15K since to me oil is cheap enough insurance. Used oil analysis always came out good, so I likely could have gone farther. There are also slightly different oil pan capacities, mine was 44 qts for a change, some are higher around 48 qts. Suppose that makes only a small effect though on OCI. It definitely takes a significant amount of oil on a change, approx 11 gal or more. I typically used Rotella T4 conventional 15W-40, although I do not think the ISX is particular about the oil. Mine did not use any oil between changes.

Not knowing your exact application and use profile, it certainly would seem OK to go at least 15K IMHO. If you run mostly highway and not heavy loading on engine, you can probably go farther based on Cummins recommendatiosn and on my anecdotal UOA results where I changed it before it was really necessary.

Back