OCI for 2002 tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a daily driver for work, gets about 30k miles a year all stop and go in Florida, very hot here. Has 170k miles, 2 liter DOHC auto trans. I have been doing 10w30 mobil 1 HM oil and filter every 9k. Is this adequate? Should i go to 10k or lower? It burns and or leaks about 1 quart every 3k. I top off with 10w30 supertech or other cheap dino oil. I do this because I figure the make up oil won't be in there as long as the original oil. No lifter tap or timing chain noises. It has great compression, 180 to 185psi in all 4 last time I checked. I have owned it for 100k miles.

Sounds like your plan is working great.

In Florida, I might move up to a 10W-40 HM oil (Mobil still an option) to see if it reduced consumption a bit more.

DONWATERS, Using cheaper conventional top-off oil is fine for saving a couple of bucks. And with that much oil added, you could easily go 15,000 miles between oil changes, but I'd only do that with a Fram Ultra XG4386 oil filter installed (walmart or amazon, kinda cheap), since it filters very well (80% at 5 microns) and lasts. Good choice on oil, as its a 'thick' 10w30, & actually has an HTHS of a 40-weight, so right choice for stop-n-go in FL.

In the old days, I would have been changing the oil every 3K miles. Now you're doing 9K OCIs ! Sounds like you have system that works for you.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back