OCI by months? and M1 High Mileage or QS Defy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 04 Wrangler with the classic inline 6. I have learned a ton from this website and I can say since I started changing my own oil I have seen an increase in its performance. My mechanic who changed the oil previously would put 10w40 assuming it was better, I am currently running QS Defy 10w30 and I definitely noticed a quieter engine once warm and definitely more power when I hit the gas pedal.

I want a high mileage oil in 5w30 and here's why:
After a bunch of research I realized 10w30 Defy oil has a significant higher viscosity then non high mileage oils. In fact both M1 High Mileage and QS Defy in 5w30 are still more viscous than a fully synthetic 10w30 (PP for example) with that being said I want to try 5w30 QS Defy or M1 HM (even though manual says 10w30) as I want easier cold start up since it's been quieter on thinner oil when hot so maybe it'll like it thinner cold too. Reason for wanting high mileage is mostly because I want to prevent any leaks I know this engine is nearly indestructible but I want to keep it happy and healthy and all I can see going wrong in the future is a leak so I think a HM oil can help prevent this. I am a SOPUS guy (my dad has a strong fleet with history on rotella)(no im not going to put T6 in, its too thick) but am considering M1 HM as I think it probably has more detergents and is fully synthetic? Rather than semi like Defy.

When should I change my oil and filter?
I am definitely a "severe condition" as over 90% of my driving is frequent short trips and stop and go traffic (city driving with occasional short trips on the highway). It is basically a weekend warrior so it will sit for days before it goes anywhere and I only put about 4000 miles on it per year.

Should I change my oil every 6 Months or Every year?
I'm thinking maybe 6 moths if I go with Defy or a year if I go with M1 High Mileage or stick to 6 Months regardless?

For a filter I have seen great things on the royal purple filters ($11 on amazon) and want to give it a try. If I do decide to change my oil every 6 Months could I change the filter just once a year? (Every other) I don't really see why not since it's supposed to last longer and filter better than the standard filter plus I thought maybe a high end filter once a year is better than a cheapo paper filter every 6 Months and would make up for the cost.

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

If you are using M1 I would be very comfortable with a yearly OCI. Use a quality filter and you should be in good shape. I now use M1 in my F150 and am doing yearly as I'm 5k -7k a year on it.

Countless UOA's have shown the Jeep 4.0 does not care for Mobil 1. If I had to use a M1 lube in my 4.0 however it would be the HM version.

Defy on the other hand looks to be one of the very best choices for the 4.0. The Defy is also very heavy in boron which is good for a short tripper. Neither oil is going to be done at only 4k IMO. Easy choice is Defy.

I know you only mention Defy or Mobil, but don't rule out maxlife. you have your choice of either syn blend or full syn which are proven oils on here over and over. The syn blend has a great cold viscosity that stands out above most of the others available.

Originally Posted By: jbotelho15
After a bunch of research I realized 10w30 Defy oil has a significant higher viscosity then non high mileage oils.

Not really. Those engines love a 40 weight oil. Your performance increase is mostly in your head. I'd stick with 5w30/10w30 Defy winter and use 10w40 Defy in summer.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
After a bunch of research I realized 10w30 Defy oil has a significant higher viscosity then non high mileage oils.

Not really. Those engines love a 40 weight oil. Your performance increase is mostly in your head. I'd stick with 5w30/10w30 Defy winter and use 10w40 Defy in summer.

The engine was much noisier with 40 weight oil and someone here has averages that prove 30 weight oils are better for the Jeep 4.0 I also looked up the viscosity of Mobil 1 EP, Pennzoil Platinum, Defy, and M1 HM and Defy + M1HM both had higher viscosity cold in 5w30 than the others in 10w30

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Countless UOA's have shown the Jeep 4.0 does not care for Mobil 1. If I had to use a M1 lube in my 4.0 however it would be the HM version.

Defy on the other hand looks to be one of the very best choices for the 4.0. The Defy is also very heavy in boron which is good for a short tripper. Neither oil is going to be done at only 4k IMO. Easy choice is Defy.

This is what is holding me back from getting the Mobil but I just wish Defy was fully synthetic and had more detergent. Perhaps Maxlife is something to think about I just think Mobil and SOPUS are the top 2. I kinda look at Valvoline similar to Castrol or something which isn't bad my head just doesn't think it's as good but maybe I'm wrong

My choices for you would be all in 10W30 (5W30 winter fill) : 3 qrts. QS Defy and 3 qrts. of PPP (similar add packs as both are SOPUS products) ...If you get any leaks then sub out the Defy and use PHM . Having a blend of PPP included will ease your fears of cold starts and cold weather short trip driving .

For 4K a year, Defy would be just fine with a mid-tier filter.
If you want to use M1 HM and an RP oil filter, then go for it.
I don't really think you need to, though.
Why spend more money without any measurable return?
Someone else mentioned Maxlife and I've had good experience with it.
Not too sure about the current moly-free formulation, though.

So I looked into the fully synthetic Maxlife. It appears that Defy and M1HM are both API SL while Maxlife is API SM/SN. Is the newer api rating better or worse? I know both should be compatible with my car but is one really better than the other? Looks like some say newer is better while others say it's a step backwards.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
My choices for you would be all in 10W30 (5W30 winter fill) : 3 qrts. QS Defy and 3 qrts. of PPP (similar add packs as both are SOPUS products) ...If you get any leaks then sub out the Defy and use PHM . Having a blend of PPP included will ease your fears of cold starts and cold weather short trip driving .

Definetely seems like an idea but I'd have to buy 10 quarts
smirk.gif
(I buy my oil at Walmart in 5 quart jugs since it's cheaper and right next to my house)

(I buy my oil at Walmart in 5 quart jugs since it's cheaper and right next to my house)

In that case you oughtta look into SuperTech full synthetic 10W-30. That's what I use with a NAPA Platinum filter. Very nice oil made by Citgo. Chevron is my favorite conventional oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back