OCI analysis, used car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a used truck, Jeep Cherokee 4.0L. What OCI should I take for analysis to check for any unusual wear/coolant leak, etc. I usually change the oil at 5K OCI

Change the oil at 5,000 miles using any decent dino oil and a good filter (I prefer the Purolator Pure One) and forget the oil analysis, it is just overkill and $$ down a rat hole.

Watch for leaks the old fashioned way - it has worked for years and much cheaper than $20+ for an oil analysis.

With decent care most engines will run well into the 100,000 to 200,000 range.

quote:

Originally posted by Ugly3:
Change the oil at 5,000 miles using any decent dino oil and a good filter (I prefer the Purolator Pure One) and forget the oil analysis, it is just overkill and $$ down a rat hole.

Watch for leaks the old fashioned way - it has worked for years and much cheaper than $20+ for an oil analysis.

With decent care most engines will run well into the 100,000 to 200,000 range.

UOAs every time might be a waste, but one check now would give him a good starting-point indication of the interior condition of his engine, and whether or not he just bought someone else's headache.

I should have made my original post more clear. I only want to do ONE initial anaysis to check for any pre-existing problems like a leaky head gasket, stuff like that

130k, btw

A 3 or 4K run with your favorite oil and filter should do the trick.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back