OCI age-old question

I change the oil in my Jeep yearly. It gets about 2500 miles a year, generally running more than 20 minutes when I do drive it. I would change it.

I guess the real question here is, we all know how the oil looks doesn't matter if it's dark, it could have plenty of life left, but if oil is still clear and looks new could it possibly be depleted of is it still good based on that visual inspection, based on my limited knowledge, I'd think yes, but maybe someone with background could explain to be how it's possible for oil to turn acidic or deplete the TBN from sitting in the crankcase largely unused in a motor that's know for being notoriously not hard on oil.

There is no need to change the oil aside from the OP's OCD. No one even dreams of changing oil @ 1,100 miles; so the ONLY reason the question is being asked is because of the time elapsed. So how does the oil know the elapsed time? I'll put some experience behind my opinion; I've owned Buicks for more than 25 years and numerous 3.8 engines, and I've done UOA for more than 10 years on 3.8 liter engines, including the nearly 200K beater that is my daily work car.
Your oil is fine to run several more thousand miles. If you don't believe me, send me a sample and I'll have UOA run on it. I need a minimum of two ounces and I use both Blackstone and (Amsoil) Horizon.

I have a 97 Volvo that I drive <4000 miles a year and only on the highway. I go by the owners manual, it says if used mostly on the highway, one year or every 10,000 miles. The car gets a once a year oil change with Mobil 1 and a Volvo OEM or Mann filter.

Back