OCI advice on Yahoo (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It amazes me how encompassing the "severe service" definition has expanded according to yahoo! It would seem that "severe service" starts when you turn the key. End of story.

Clark

Originally Posted By: Yahoo
The oil filters on most engines today have been downsized to save weight, cost and space.

I haven't really noticed that smaller filters are cheaper. I think they cost the same as the big filters.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: salesrep
Wonder who is the author?

Some yahoo.

crackmeup2.gif

I think that we can discount this tidbit

Quote:
If you read the fine print, however, you’ll discover that the once a year, 7,500 mile oil change is for vehicles that are driven under ideal circumstances. What most of us think of as "normal" driving is actually "severe service" driving.

As we've seen with OLM on like engines that were spec'd with 7.5k intervals, the 7.5k would be conservative in many instances. What most people think of as normal driving is normal. If anything way too many people consider normal severe. It's obvious that both recommendations are heavily "buffered" for the imagination.

Quote:
If you read the fine print This includes frequent short trips (less than 10 miles, especially during cold weather), stop-and-go city traffic driving, driving in dusty conditions (gravel roads, etc.), and driving at sustained highway speeds during hot weather. For this type of driving, which is actually "severe service: driving, the recommendation is to change the oil every 3,000 miles or six months.

I've never seen a recommendation that didn't have this in the plain as day print ..and the recommendation is usually 7.5k/6months or 3k/3m.
Yep ..a yahoo.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Originally Posted By: Yahoo
The oil filters on most engines today have been downsized to save weight, cost and space.

I haven't really noticed that smaller filters are cheaper. I think they cost the same as the big filters.

I've noticed small filters are actually more expensive than the big ones in some cases. The coffee-cup 3600 or 3614 that I use are about $4.50, and the beer-stein 8A is about $3. They all have the same gasket connection too so I could use either...
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back