OCI Advice on Yahoo Autos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just came across this from a link on the Yahoo homepage:

http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/rep...Ec2VjA3dlc3QtZWRpdG9yaWFsBHNsawNvaWwtY2hhbmdl

Looks like they are just perpetuating the 3K OCI myth. No mention of using synthetic oils and they are pretty dismissive of doing UOAs based on cost alone (without mentioning any of the benefits of UOAs besides doing extened OCIs).

There are so many reasons for doing at least moderately extended OCIs (environmental, time, cost if oil change is done at dealerships): I just don't know why the myth of the 3K OCI is so prevalent. Usually these yahoo articles (such as on finances) are little better researched and thought out than this one. Looks like there only source was oil companies.

I failed to find the article "perpetuating the 3K OCI myth". The article specifically mentioned the need for more frequent oil changes under severe service - and then proceeded to describe what constituted severe service conditions. I guess the only explanation for our different takes is I must've run across a different article linked to your URL.
wink.gif

Well, the article did say "For maximum protection, most oil companies say to change the oil every 3,000 miles or three to six months regardless of what type of driving you do."

and

"What most of us think of as "normal" driving is actually "severe service" driving.

The article implied that as engines age there is increased "blow-by" and the oil is more contaminated and needs to be changed more often than 7,500 miles.

I agree pb11.

I guess it is perpetuating the 3,000 mile myth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back