OC1 on Honda FIT - New Filter Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did OC1 early on Honda fit, used Idemitsu SM 0w20 syn. Car became noisy, powerless and used oil. Was scratching my head. Oil works well in Subaru FB. Removed the Fram-made Honda service filter and replaced with Purolator Premium mid-efficiency for Honda (they mostly ALL spec the same filter be it Truck, Van or Suv.) Car is back to normal afa noise and powerwise goes - will be keeping an eye on the consumption. The OEM Filter was a beauty Mahle.
Id like to source these OEM Mahle_tennex:
616117.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I just changed it out last night as it was REALLY bothering me. Ill know more in the coming days. If you cant trust OEM sevice parts then what the hey?! Maybe I should have left the fF in a couple more months. But the winter cold and visions of bypassing junk haunted me.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The OEM Filter was a beauty Mahle.
Id like to source these OEM Mahle_tennex:
616117.jpg

This filter is available at parts.sonsacura.com for $6.xx.

It's $5.xx at acurapartswarehouse.com.

$4.96 at hondapartsnow.com.

Search "Mahle_tennex 15400-RTA-003" will give several choices.

Last edited:
I wonder what happened to the filter to do that? Maybe it was blocked inside or something. So that was the FF you dumped. So if the car has a prob its on them??

I just got my car back from the dealer cause of me complaining that it was a pig sty and there was a couple of glue spots on the seat from when they put the moon roof in so they cleaned it again. not to my satisfaction.

Originally Posted By: abycat
I wonder what happened to the filter to do that? Maybe it was blocked inside or something.

It needs to be cut open for an autopsy report.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The OEM Filter was a beauty Mahle.
Id like to source these OEM Mahle_tennex:[Image removed]

This filter is available at parts.sonsacura.com for $6.xx.

It's $5.xx at acurapartswarehouse.com.

$4.96 at hondapartsnow.com.

Search "Mahle_tennex 15400-RTA-003" will give several choices.

Funny since I am pretty sure that Honda Parts Now and Acura Parts Warehouse is the same outfit.

Did I miss a memo on this filter? I thought the only real choices were the A01 and A02? This filter is listed as suitable for my 05 but not the 96 (although they can both use the A01/A02).

Related to the original problem, I think I'd truck myself down to the Honda dealer with the filter and get it on record.

Did OC1 early on Honda fit, used Idemitsu SM 0w20 syn. Car became noisy, powerless and used oil.

You're positive this was caused by the oil & filter?

How long did you leave it in there to determine there was consumption?

Joel

OC1 Oil (subaru/idemitsu) is still in the sump, only the Fram/Honda filter is out. I really dont expect the filter change to affect consumption. Maybe a cleanup is in progress in the ring area? I may cut the filter open but dont expect to see anything thinking it media related somehow. Ive had odd issues with high efficiency filters before and when i go back to med efficiency everything goes back to "normal". The FF was dumped at almost 3k miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Did I miss a memo on this filter? I thought the only real choices were the A01 and A02? ...
This Mahle-tennex was what came on the car from japan. They dont give us the "really good stuff" stateside I guess. The Pureolator seems adequate for now but would like to have a good "honda" filter on there through warranty.

IIRC this hopnda engine L15GE08 uses a variable load oil pump scheme (to save gas - gues it takes some HP to run the oil pump) and I dont know how this would work into the equation.

Owned a few Hondas now, and while I wouldn't go out of my way for the A-01 or A-02, I've never had an issue with dealer installed Honda filter, even the A-02 in early warranty dealer oc's.

I've found the P1 PL14610 to work just fine, even under warranty. Currently running a BD+ two oci's with no issues.

As suggested, I'd like to see dissected pics of the "failed" Honda A-02.

As for Mahle, can't tell much from the outside of the can.

I had the anti drain back valve fail on an A02 so I stopped using them. For the same price there are so many better built filters.
I wonder if the Honda PCX-004 filter would void the warranty?

He should be using only 15400-PLM-A01 and 15400-PLM-A02 as the oem filter.

I run 8000 miles OCI with 15400-PLM-A02. It didn't fail. Other Honda owners run 8k-10k oci with Honda oem filter too.. no failure..

Maybe a cleanup is in progress in the ring area?

Cleanup? From what...the engine has 3000 miles on it. It is not broken in yet. It is a Honda engine. You can run that thing on Valvoline or Mobil 5000 5w20 and a Supertech $3 filter for 300,000 miles and just change the oil every 5000 miles. You are way over thinking this filter issue. Honda engines run on any oil filter.

Last edited:
No overthinking if the engine is running like shizznet, buckoo. "It's a Honda Engine" is meaningless drivel. Should I just ignore the racket and keep running with the thing putting out 60 hP and knocking like drunk in lockup?
This is not an engine easy on oil. Recent OUA have shown isssues. Its got a 3.5" stroke and a chain and jam nut valves. It does have moly blasted piston skirts but so does just about everything - incl our subaru. I would have kept the factory fill in longer but got a bad tank of fuel that loaded the sump with gas.

Originally Posted By: moto94536
He should be using only 15400-PLM-A01 and 15400-PLM-A02 as the oem filter.

I run 8000 miles OCI with 15400-PLM-A02. It didn't fail. Other Honda owners run 8k-10k oci with Honda oem filter too.. no failure..
That's not the oem filter P/N - those are honda service part numbers for North America. The car came with a the -003 on it. Ran Fine. Just like it does with teh Purolator. Simply the fram/honda I put on there didnt work. Most likely overtreated media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back