OC Methodology...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you guys do it? Do you jack up the front end and DIY? Do you use ramps? Or do you use WM or some other quik change place?

For DIYers, what is the best way? I am thinking metal ramps instead of floor jacks.

DIY or DIE!!!
24.gif

Ramps are by far the easiest. Set them up as you leave for work/supermarket/etc., then drive right up when you return. (Let the car do the work!
cool.gif
) Drain as soon as possible, while the oil is still hot and stirred up. Wait a while for the engine to cool before attempting to remove the filter.

I would NEVER trust a "Monkey Lube" type store, there are just waaay too many horror stories out there!
43.gif

Last edited:
I always use a floor jack to raise the car, then support it with jack stands.

4WD, I just crawl on under.
E30, I have to drive up onto a couple layers of 3x8 treated pine in order to get a drain pan underneath it.

I use Rhino Ramps. They are certified to 12,000 lbs and are plastic (I keep them in my garage, out of sunlight).

Usually, when the drain plug is on the back of the oil pan, I just use one set and pull up the front wheels on them.

My Corvette has the drain plug on the front of the oil pan and the filter is located far back from the front. I use 2 sets of ramps on this. Pull up on the front ones and jack up the back and place wheels on back ramps (a poor man's lift!). I even have to raise back wheels slightly to get the last 4 ounces of oil out.

I just go to Iffy Loob because their mechanics know how this kind of complicated car stuff. Plus, I don't want to break a nail trying to do it myself. I might get dirty. Ick.

OK now. I get the oil warmed up pretty good but not scalding hot. I use ramps on my wife's car (Rino, I think. My truck-- just slide under. I let it drain while I reset the maintenance light and make a next service tag, and I keep topping up the filter until it won't take any more. (I don't care if I spill 'cause I got a mess going anyway) New gasket on the drain plug. Torque wrench it into the pan. Count turns on the new filter so it's not over/under tight. Gummout and rags until clean and dry everywhere. Up to the topside to fill. Check dipstick.

I do it myself, its way cheaper and more fun to get to know youre car instead of the news paper in the waiting room.

I dont need to crawl under the car, the drain plug is just next to the passenger side so very easy to get to. The oil filter cartridge is at the top of the engine under the hood.

It takes 15 minutes and evrything is done!

I use jackstands on the cars and wiggle underneath the truck.

I get the oil hot with a drive, then change it when I get back to the driveway. I use latex gloves to keep the oil out of the fingernails. As a former welder, a little heat doesn't bother me, so I don't wait for anything to cool off. I usually do the filter first.

And, I have a big piece of cardboard to lay on while using a smaller piece of cardboard to keep drips/splashes off the driveway.

I go back and forth between doing it myself or making someone else do it - I do it myself usually, I use a creeper to roll underneath my truck and jack stands and cardboard to do my cousins focus. I only let other people do it every so often so they can top off my fluids so i don't have 50 different bottle lying around the garage (since I'm renting and its not my house)

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Wrangler and an axploder.. I just get underneath and do it.

54.gif

I always thought you drove a Tacoma and a 4Runner. When did this change occur?

I sold the 4 Runner over a year ago, then bought a Wrangler last spring. This year I sold the Tacoma and got the Exploder. I own outright now. The 2006 Ford Explorer is an Eddie Baur with the 4.6 v8(Very nice ride, the trip car) and the 2008 wrangler is just a fun Toy., I have a take home company truck(2005 F-150 supercrew with the 5.4) as well that I put 100-200 miles on a day.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Oil extractor. No need to get under the car.

I agreed, specially for German engines, they are designed to use an extractor to suck out most if not all the oil in the sump.

For American and Asian engines, oil extractor still leave about 1/4-1/2 quarts in the sump compares with drain plug.

Yeah, it doesn't work for all engines. Even on my g/f's Jetta I can't get all of it out from the top, so I will probably end up getting it on rhino ramps and doing it the old fashioned way.

Plus, on some cars even if you can suck it all out from the top, you may not be able to get to the filter from the top. And if you have to do the filter from the bottom, then you might as well drain the oil from the bottom, too.

I have been sliding up under my 2000 Silverado, and DIY, but the 2006 Honda Odyssey has only about 4" of clearance, so I currently bring it to WM. I am thinking of getting some ramps and doing the Honda OC, too.

I used a 3 ton floor jack and jack stands for years and years. I decided to treat myself to a set of Rhino ramps a few months ago and they are great for doing oil changes, a starter, transmission pan drop etc. For certain jobs they beat the floor jack big time. I still like to use the jack to grease the car, it takes the load off the suspension.

As a side note if you get the Rhino ramps, spring for the extra cash and get the 12,000 lb set. I got them because they're wider, and having that extra strength is a plus too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back