Obsolete German Castrol SLX 0w-30 - Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have just seen some OLD obsolete German Castrol SLX 0w-30 SJ for sale here at a major Auto discount house "AutoB@@@" at $A69 for 5 litres! A stock of it

It must be at least 3 or 4 years old and this time at a place where the Millionaires/Billionaires have homes, their exotic cars and they spend their playtime. For the Aussie readers - Noosa!

I have seen much of this product still around in NSW and QLD! Some is being sold alongside the Castrol R products. Who would buy it?

The answer is its still sitting there - what an embarassment to Castrol-BP

Regards

Castrol is another company, like Pennzoil, that could and have (GC) bring out and make oils that are as good or better then anything Amsoil/Redline/Mobil makes, but they **** around and cater to the mass market which doesn't give a rats @ss about oil. What a shame. I think they should just for people like me.
grin.gif

WHY!!! is oil SOOOO! expensive in Australia ...

I thought 6 - 7 $ CDN was too much...(5$ US)

Cdn $ = Aus $ (very close)

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
grin.gif

Hi,
Mobil 1 SS 10w-30 is around $A100 for 5 lts
Motul V300 is about $A85 for 5lts
Shell Helix Ultra synthetic 5w-40 is about $A55 for 5 lts
FUCH full synthetic sells for around $A80 for 5 lts

Why is it so expensive? "Enviromental" pricing and bloody taxes!!!

You can also buy 5 lts of many SH "home brand" oil from various sources for under $A20

When GC SLX 0w-30 first arrived here in 1996 it sold for around $100 for 5 lts

Regards

quote:

Originally posted by Doug Hillary:
...You can also buy 5 lts of many SH "home brand" oil from various sources for under $A20...

Hmmm... Whaddayawannabet that at least some of those "bloody taxes" are designed to encourage purchase of the domestic brews? The question I have for Australian blenders is, if China, Korea, Venezuala, and Russia can blend finished API "SL" oils, why can't they?

[ December 19, 2003, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Hi,
Ray H - they blend SL oils and the latest Euro specced here too
The real volumn market is of course at the cheap end like where you are. Thats why the cheap oils exist. The GTX range from Castrol is probably the No1 seller - as a 20w-50!
Our latest home built cars - Ford, GM-Holden and Toyota are market specific.
GM-Holden for instance exports Euro spec engines, designed and built at Holden Engine Company, for use in Opel, Vauxhall and Daewoo worldwide

Soon you will be buying our Holden Monaro "muscle car" coupe ( as an Oldsmobile? ) over there in NA. They go very well with either the Supercharged V6 or the generic V8

The hot rear wheel drive car "platforms" for GM and Ford worldwide are developed here in Australia

Regards

quote:

Hi,
The real volumn market is of course at the cheap end like where you are. Thats why the cheap oils exist. The GTX range from Castrol is probably the No1 seller - as a 20w-50!
GM-Holden for instance exports Euro spec engines, designed and built at Holden Engine Company, for use in Opel, Vauxhall and Daewoo worldwide

Soon you will be buying our Holden Monaro "muscle car" coupe ( as an Oldsmobile? ) over there in NA. They go very well with either the Supercharged V6 or the generic V8

The hot rear wheel drive car "platforms" for GM and Ford worldwide are developed here in Australia

Regards

offtopic.gif
From Dougs post, but anyone who likes racing should watch the Austailian V8 Supercar races on SpeedChannel. I only wish this is what our NASCAR stockers looked like...

Doug - I saw some SLX 0W30 at AutoPro recently. The labels are so faded they must be many years old. I considered making them an offer but then I remembered all the problems you mentioned before about using this stuff long term so it's still there!

Doug H:
The Holden Monaro is being sold in the USA as a Pontiac Grand Prix. Oldsmobile division has been discontinued by GM. Sadly, the Olds Aurora and Olds Intrigue were rally good cars with great engines.

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:

quote:

Hi,

Regards

offtopic.gif
From Dougs post, but anyone who likes racing should watch the Austailian V8 Supercar races on SpeedChannel. I only wish this is what our NASCAR stockers looked like...

http://www.v8supercar.com.au/photogallery/photoview.asp?ind=M&cat=EVNT&pid=140&piid=5876&pnum=1

http://www.v8supercar.com.au/photogallery/photoview.asp?ind=M&cat=EVNT&pid=140&piid=5915&pnum=3

BTW, one of the reasons most things are more expensive here is the small market compared to the US and Europe.

We only have 20 million people here so manufacturers need bigger margins to cope with the smaller turnover.

Otherwise, why would they bother.

[ December 22, 2003, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Andrew ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back