Obsession...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, you can slap me now, but I just HAVE to say this to get it off of my chest.

You are ALL obsessed with this GC thing. There are other oils, some better, some worse, some about the same, and some are NOT made by a super huge, profit hungry, people screwing, oversized corporation that I really don't want to support.

Ok, rebuttle time...

Why pick on the GC fruitcakes only? this entire board is a psychiatrist's retirement plan....

:0

quote:

Originally posted by Gilitar:
Ok, so name a better oil for the money.

Exactly! It's the combination of low-cost (for a "true" synthetic) and outstanding performance that makes GC so special (at least to me). Would Redline/Silkolene/Motul/etc. perform just as well in my car ... perhaps. But all of them cost quite a bit more than GC.

The cost factor is the reason I said that most of the members of this forum are obsessed with GC. I'm not saying that saving a buck is bad, but it seems that price is looked at first AND foremost ABOVE ALL other specification, then they come into play, and usually by splitting five and ten cent hairs in price differential.

A pyschiatrist would have a field day with my feelings on oil, particularly since I've spent $11 per liter already for oil.

"There are other oils, some better..."

I'm afraid you are going to have to prove that one...

Amsoil 5w-30 (Yes, I know its a 5w-), $5.75/qt shipped.
M1 0w-40. $5/qt

Its kind of fun having this obscession with GC as you get to brag to your friends about your absurd hobby. I just hope that you folks realize that your engine will last just as long with oils other than GC, when changed regularly.
wink.gif

Obsession?

GC is $5.00 per quart

Mobil 1 is $5.30 to $5.80 per quart

Redline is $7.00 per quart

Replacement engines for most of our new vehicles cost $5000.00 to $15000.00. The high performance vehicles have ultra expensive motors.

So, are we obsessed or careful?

I think the Esso XD-3 0W-30 oil is underrated,
as more UOAs come in for this oil, I believe it could be a contender to GC,
also, this oil is a little more then half the price of GC,
only time will tell...
grin.gif

quote:

I think the Esso XD-3 0W-30 oil is underrated,
as more UOAs come in for this oil, I believe it could be a contender to GC,
also, this oil is a little more then half the price of GC

But where do you find it here in the States?

GC is in rare, elite company even on a global scale. That shows by looking at the many rigourous specs it meets, basestock composition and lack of viscosity index improvers, UOAs, viscometrics and sheer/thermal stability, and its price. How's that for a resume?
smile.gif

"Can we elimate the price limit? Then I'll go to work."

Price limit waived...but you are going to find I'm a "hard sell."
grin.gif

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
posted by Jeff:
But where do you find it here in the States?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can't, not that I am aware of...

-------------------------------------

Not even by mail order??

Pscholte, what is your personal "best" lubricant then?

We all know here that I'm totally INSANE and obsessed with botique oils, but my candidate would be the Maxima Maxum 4 Ultra 0w30 that I'm currently running in my Honda CR-V. I should be getting the VOA results back in a little bit, so I can post some hard data about it.

I hope that it is a good on analysis paper as it did on the chart and conversation that I had with the tech person, or I guess the joke's on me...
shocked.gif
twak.gif
banghead.gif

Posted by Dad:
quote:

Yep, you can slap me now, but I just HAVE to say this to get it off of my chest.

You are ALL obsessed with this GC thing. There are other oils, some better, some worse, some about the same, and some are NOT made by a super huge, profit hungry, people screwing, oversized corporation that I really don't want to support.

Ok, rebuttle time...

Despite being a GC hoarder myself, the only thing I believe needs to be said in response to this comment is that . . . ummmmm . . . it's "rebuttal". I trust you get my drift. . .
wink.gif
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back