Obsession...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never claimed to be an expert "speller", just an oil happy person!!!
cool.gif

. . .and so that I don't look even more anal than I actually am, for those who didn't catch my drift, all I was really trying to say was that Dad was right on with respect to Castrol's "corporate personality".
cool.gif

quote:

You are ALL obsessed with this GC thing. There are other oils, some better, some worse, some about the same, and some are NOT made by a super huge, profit hungry, people screwing, oversized corporation that I really don't want to support.

calls us crazy and buying oil from profit hungry oil corp. then he says this.

quote:

since I've spent $11 per liter already for oil.

sounds like he is buying profit hungry oil makers oils.
lol.gif

just sounds like someone bored and wanting to cause a ruckus in here. one should do research on a product before blasting said product.

quote:

I hope that it is a good on analysis paper as it did on the chart and conversation that I had with the tech person, or I guess the joke's on me... [Eek!] [Dummy!] [Bang Head]

you took the word of a tech person and used the oil only on his word of mouth. I hope you did more research and found people that accually used the oil. I hope you never talk to a fram oil filter tech. if you do you might be putting fram oil filters on your car. or do you already

Dark Jedi, I just didn't take the word of the tech person. At the forum The Motor Oil Site, one of the members posted a paper done on several motor cycle oils, including various levels of additives, anti-wear, and detergents. Maxima had some of the highest levels of ZDDP, a fair split of Ca and Mg with a touch of Bo in there. The basestock is ester based, and is 0w30 in viscosity range.

Maxima might be charging more then they should for the technology and additives, but they most certainly are NOT the super huge, mega profit hungry major corporations that I am referring to with my comments on GC. I never said that GC wasn't a great oil at a pretty decent price, I just am tired of supporting corporate America and much rather spend money (a little more, if need be) on a smaller company or corporation, that doesn't post billion dollar profits while we are getting squeezed to death with less paycheck and higher pricing on their products which cost pennies per quart to produce at this point.

I am pretty confident that the VOA will come back showing a very high quality and additive strong motor oil.

And for those of you that care to take a look : www.maximausa.com

"Pscholte, what is your personal "best" lubricant then?"

Until I see better and more consistent results from another oil (it would have to be made by Elves, of course) in a large number of vehicles, my personal best is The Elixer. (I have seen some very good oils in my time [e.g. Gulpride Formula G 30W that I believe was run in the John Wyer Ford GT-40s and Shell TMO {10W-30 Street/30W racing} that was run by Porsche in its sports racing cars and in some Formula 1 cars] but I'm still hooked on the Elixer. I contend that you won't find any more "trick" an oil at much higher prices (maybe the $60/litre Shell Formula Ultra used by Ferrari in Formula 1).

"And for those of you that care to take a look : www.maximausa.com"

I visited, and honestly, D2l, I did not see anything that watered my eyes. I'm not dissing your favorite, but I wasn't even tempted.

Fair enough pscholte. That is pretty much how I feel about GC, so I won't diss it either. I just "feel" that there is something unique out there, and GC doesn't really strike me as unique.

Maybe I'm just wierd, bizarre, strange, obsessed with oil myself....oh well...I am a member of BITOG..that pretty much says it all!!!
fruit.gif

Holy smoke, I just looked at the Maximausa site and noticed that the synthetic 0w-30 costs almost triple what I paid on average for my stash of GC. I seriously doubt that it can deliver 3x the value/performance of GC. It's also under 10 cSt, which of course is neither bad nor good, but I want a thicker 30 anyway. What makes this stuff worth paying over $13.50 per litre?
dunno.gif

quote:

Maxima might be charging more then they should for the technology and additives, but they most certainly are NOT the super huge, mega profit hungry major corporations that I am referring to with my comments on GC.

you know the super huge corporations has to start out small at one time. they may not be a huge corp. but they got the mega profit hunger. I am sorry I can not see spending that much on an oil. when I can get GC that protects great and doesnt take a chunk out my wallet.

I just dont know why you would come in here and start this post if you have nothing against GC? if you are happy with your $13 a liter oil. thats fine and your choice. I for one after reading the protection GC gives for the price. I have to give it a try. just because they discontinue something. doesnt mean its becasue its bad.

As I said in the very first post starting this topic, I just thought that you all were just too sold (read obsessed) on this one particular oil from a major corporation. No bashing intended, just wanted to hear why it is thought of as the cat's meow, brought up most of the time as a suggestion, and why other oils are considered too expensive or inferior.

I guess that I really do like to change my brands of oil for the sake of change. Oh well, my bad habit...

Dad2leia, I don't see myself as being "sold" on GC. I bought it despite the Castrol name on the bottle. It has nothing to do with their marketing or my opinion of Castrol in general. The "super huge corporation" did nothing to make me want the oil they produced except make a good product. For $4/qt, I don't see them making all that much off of my purchases. It is a good oil, well priced, and works well for me. I also use other brands of oil, and have a few BC that I am going to try also.

And as you said, we are all a little obsessed, after all, here we are discussing motor oil of all things.

You know guys, I just put GC back in the Taurus after a run with Agip I had bought before I discovered The Elixer...ah, what a sweet fragrance...like the smell of Gümmi Bären dancing through flower strewn puddles after an afternoon shower in der Schwarzwald. And oh, the iridescent green, reminding one of a misty Irish morning with the sun gently piercing the greenish mist with the hint of a promise of a glorious new day...and they say we are obsessed...well, I never...oh, by the way, a performance report from the Audi...the GC in Der Terror von der deutschen Autobahn has been in for right at 5000 miles... through the summer in a twin turbo that sees a good bit of high-speed driving from 5000 to 11000 feet altitude...from the dipstick display it does not appear to have used any...Ja, meine freunde, GC ist Der King (I had to switch to English because the board software did not like the German word for king...it censored me...YOU CANNOT CENSOR THE ELFE MEISTER!!! Was diese Welt ist, die auch kommt, sage ich!)

[ November 11, 2005, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Posted by Michael Wan:
quote:

{snip}I just hope that you folks realize that your engine will last just as long with oils other than GC, when changed regularly.{snip}

Your basis for this statement? I certainly have not seen any evidence that shows whether or not one use of oil or another will result in different engine life, or whether engine life is independent of the oil chosen. To the extent that oil choice may influence engine life, it would be my opinion that GC is a favorable choice in most instances.

That is why GC is SO special. Since most high quality oils will see an engine through enough miles to get it safely to the classifieds or to a dealer trade-in, there has got to be something else like...well...see my post once removed.

english people. I dont understand foriegn languages. heck I failed spanish and thats the easiest. I also have prob with english it self lol. have you noticed?
wink.gif

atleast DAD has left with his expensive botique oils. now he is inquiring about joe gibbs oil. at $119 a case (12 QT). I must say he is anal when it comes to his oil. or he has so much money that it dont bother him.

wish I was in the oil formulation buisness. I could make a fortune off this guy
biggthumbcoffe.gif

It would depend on just how much of the force that you use in your product Dark Jedi. I am intrigued by the dark side....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back