Observation on GC vs.Amsoil 030

Status
Not open for further replies.
No numbers/UOA...sorry guys....just wanted to share some possibly totally useless observations.....
04 GTO LS1 400+RWHP...Heads/Cam/Headers etc. etc....
GC0-30...Oil Pressure at WOT 75..75mph cruise OP...50...Idle...30....Oil Temp at cruise on 90 degree day...180..(oil cooler guys)....
Amsoil 0-30....OP at WOT...63....75mph cruise OP...48.....Idle...25...Oil temp...cruise 95 degree day...210.....
Amsoil has definitely quited things down.....engine is quieter all the way around....runs hotter....

Which do you prefer? I'm surprised the Amsoil ran hotter. I'd like to see what RL would do. Your choices are good ones though.

I'd like to see your results after a few thousand miles. If Amsoil thickend, it might start to run more hot. This is where GC shines.

[ May 24, 2005, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Blew an oil line off of the cooler....so didn't get a UOA on the GC obviously.....wanted to give the Amsoil 0-30 a run so we put in Amsoil 0-30 and two KN filters.....noticed the heat right off...and the pressure...my daughter noticed the "quietness" right off.....
Personally I am very happy with the GC and now have over 100 quarts of it...along with about 5 cases of Amsoil 0-30.....I will run the Amsoil for a bit and keep an eye on things...we did slap a 3200 Stall converter in it today as well.....I will then do the UOA on the Amsoil (doesn't take long as I change it out after a few runs and lil street driving)....I am almost tempted to change it out next week just to "observe" the OP/Heat characteristics and verify/document that....

quote:

I am almost tempted to change it out next week just to "observe" the OP/Heat characteristics and verify/document that

How many miles will you have on it? I know Amsoil recently reformulated their S2000 line by lowering the ZDP. Can't tell much unless you take a sample though as you said. Have you given a thought to using Redline? RL can handle hot temperatures better then any oil IMO.

I was worried about the 180 on the GC frankly as being to **** cold.....but it never would get up into much past 195 then quickly settle back to 180....the Amsoil runs up to 210 and pretty much maintains that regardless of what I am doing....I have used RL/RP/Kendall all of em...all excellent oils...the LS1's seem to really like the GC and the Amsoil 0-30......so I have focused on those two mainly.....UOA are not gonna do much as we swap heads/cams like underwear....depending on what we are running and we always are trying something different to squeeze out an additional 1/8 of RWHP:)
I just posted as an observation....30 degree swing must be attributed to something.....and the pressure... I have convinced myself...is the "thinner" Amsoil pumping more quickly or easily should I say......again...probably useless info...but nevertheless mebbe someone can glean something useful from it.....I dunno:)

interesting... similar to the results I got going to GC form other oils in my 4.3

JMH

I am new to this board, but I havent seen too many good uao on amsoil like I have on GC.. I have been reading WAY too much.

195 t-stat...dual oil filters and one big oil cooler...fans programmed to come on high at 190....GC runs at 180...that is why I said it concerned me.....

quote:

Originally posted by Alex D:
[QB] This can't be right! Your engine oil will not stay at 180F in any weather unless your engine thermostat was changed to a 160 or so. Your engine oil will always reach 205 to 220 F in a stock unmodified engine. It must reach 208 to fully burn off potential water from condensation in it.

Alex, in my C5 I've got the stock thermostat and also have the fans programmed to run all the time, so my oil generally only runs at about 185F when driving at slower speeds in the winter, and 195-200F on the highway in the winter.

In the summer, my oil runs at about 195F when driving at slower speeds, or around 205-208F on the highway.

How is your C5 by the way? How many miles do you have on it now? I'm loving mine! I have put 16,000 miles on mine since I got it in August! I just love to drive it!
cheers.gif

Hi Patman!! Good to hear from you.
My C5 is doing fine ... only about 4,000 miles on it so far.
My C5 oil temp runs up to 198 (40F ambient temp.) - 216 (85 ambient or above) within 12 miles of city driving. It does not get any hotter unless when the temps go above 90F and in city traffic. have seen 222F oil temps but never more than that. Motoroil shoil heat up to 212F on a regular basis.

This can't be right! Your engine oil will not stay at 180F in any weather unless your engine thermostat was changed to a 160 or so. Your engine oil will always reach 205 to 220 F in a stock unmodified engine. It must reach 208 to fully burn off potential water from condensation in it.

quote:

Originally posted by sgtgeek:
No numbers/UOA...sorry guys....just wanted to share some possibly totally useless observations.....
04 GTO LS1 400+RWHP...Heads/Cam/Headers etc. etc....
GC0-30...Oil Pressure at WOT 75..75mph cruise OP...50...Idle...30....Oil Temp at cruise on 90 degree day...180..(oil cooler guys)....
Amsoil 0-30....OP at WOT...63....75mph cruise OP...48.....Idle...25...Oil temp...cruise 95 degree day...210.....
Amsoil has definitely quited things down.....engine is quieter all the way around....runs hotter....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back