Obligatory new ‘Yoda owner post

Yeah, it's a Dino but you have a great vehicle there with a great reputation for reliability! (y)
If you personally maintain the 4Runner yourself, this SUV could practically last forever.
And if you do plan on keeping if for the long haul, do yourself a favor and have it KROWN'd/RustCheck'd or Fluid Film'd...even do it yourself.

Don’t worry @Astro14, we are keeping the Volvo. She’s likely going to still be driving that more than the 4R for work and such.

Nice! Same color we have!

What oil will you run?
Probably a 5w30 synthetic, which the manual allows. My mom has an out of warranty 2015 TRD Pro that I use 0w40 in. 5k-ish intervals.

That’s a whole other topic. I asked the salesman about me doing the maintenance and he said it’d decrease the value because they add all of that in their system when I bring it in. It comes with 2 years of oil changes too. I’m just not a fan… the dealer is 45 mins away too. I need to do some research on what he said. Might make a new thread eventually so others can chime in too.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a Dino but you have a great vehicle there with a great reputation for reliability! (y)
If you personally maintain the 4Runner yourself, this SUV could practically last forever.
And if you do plan on keeping if for the long haul, do yourself a favor and have it KROWN'd/RustCheck'd or Fluid Film'd...even do it yourself.
I am planning on getting some of that 3M clear bra stuff added to the entire front nose and rockers as well as getting the front door’s windows tinted to match the rears.

Rust proofing wise, my dad has had great luck with this Amsoil spray. I’ll give it a yearly treatment October/ November or so.

Good choice. I demand some offroad trail pics at some point!

I won't buy another car unless it has push to start. It's a disqualifier if it has a key.

They are really nice vehicles. Hate the technology on them. Doesn’t make them feel like the old ones but every manufacturer is doing that these days unfortunately. But you’ll love it. I like those tires you are planning for it too. I never understood why Toyota decided to use Dunlop as their OEM the last few years. If it were me I’d tell them to make the sale pull those off and put these on for me free of charge. We get a lot of customers make us do that to make a sale where I work.

In the current new car market, dealers don't have to jump through hoops anymore to make the sale. If someone tells them they need to change the tires out to make the sale, they will most likely refuse and simply sell the car to the next buyer on their waiting list. Back in the days of jammed dealer lots they would do things like that. Now, with new inventory selling out in mere hours, they don't have to bother with those types of demands to sell inventory. Especially free of charge. If the customer wants to pay in full for the tire swap, they will be glad to do that for them or build it in to the deal.

You are better off buying the new vehicle as-is, buying the tires you really want, and then flipping the OEM take-offs on Facebook marketplace, OfferUp, Craig's List, eBay local pickup, or any other marketplace app that is popular in your area.

CharBaby beat me to it.....have it "rust preventatively treated".
Best of Luck with it.
No drunken driving.
No picking up hitch-hikers carrying bloody gardening tools either!

Don’t worry @Astro14, we are keeping the Volvo. She’s likely going to still be driving that more than the 4R for work and such.
I love your new truck. Looks great. I had a 4 Runner for nearly 25 years. I almost bought a new one last fall (I got a V70R instead, totally different, long story).

You‘re going to love this new machine. Congratulations!

Probably a 5w30 synthetic, which the manual allows. My mom has an out of warranty 2015 TRD Pro that I use 0w40 in. 5k-ish intervals.

That’s a whole other topic. I asked the salesman about me doing the maintenance and he said it’d decrease the value because they add all of that in their system when I bring it in. It comes with 2 years of oil changes too. I’m just not a fan… the dealer is 45 mins away too. I need to do some research on what he said. Might make a new thread eventually so others can chime in too.
Agree with your choice.

I’ve run 0W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30 in ours so far, and also have some ESP 0W-30 in my stash (bought on sale at AAP) to try in it and the Tacoma.

Pay no attention to the salesman. You can add your maintenance in yourself on the Toyota app. It’s what I do.

Agree with your choice.

I’ve run 0W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30 in ours so far, and also have some ESP 0W-30 in my stash (bought on sale at AAP) to try in it and the Tacoma.

Pay no attention to the salesman. You can add your maintenance in yourself on the Toyota app. It’s what I do.
Agree with your choice.

Good to know about the app. I did not know that. Thanks.

I love your new truck. Looks great. I had a 4 Runner for nearly 25 years. I almost bought a new one last fall (I got a V70R instead, totally different, long story).

You‘re going to love this new machine. Congratulations!
Lol. We looked at a red v70r. Wifey called it the red rocket. It was priced a little high for a 20 year old car, but aside from that, she was mint minus the mileage. They don’t rust and age exceptionally well.

I’m always looking for a clean P2.

Lifestyle Overland on YouTube just posted an awesome build of their over landing 4Runner. It is amazing what they do with that truck.

Decreasing the value because the service history isn't loaded in to their system sounds like a bunch of bull.

Toyota's 2 year maintenance plan is also pretty bare bones. It typically involves an inspection at 6 months, an oil change at 12 months, another inspection at 18 months, and another oil change at 24 months. If you want the oil changed more frequently than that you would have to pay for it.

Funny story...my parents bought a new Highlander back in 2013. My Dad went in for service when the vehicle had 6,000 miles on it and asked for an oil change. The dealer refused and said it didn't need to be done until 1yr or 12,000 miles. My Dad said he would gladly pay for the oil change. The dealer again refused and said to come back at 1 year or 12,000 miles. He would have done the oil change himself, but didn't have the patience or desire to buy the special filter wrench needed for the vehicle. After the 2 year maintenance program ended, he took it in every 6,000 miles and paid for an oil change and the dealer was happy to oblige. So the first 2 years they owned it, it had 2 oil changes. Then for the other 6 years they owned it, it got changed every 6,000 miles.

Now they have a 2021 Venza Hybrid and just take it in every 6 months. The dealer does whatever Toyota recommends in the manual and they are out within 2 hours.

Decreasing the value because the service history isn't loaded in to their system sounds like a bunch of bull.

Toyota's 2 year maintenance plan is also pretty bare bones. It typically involves an inspection at 6 months, an oil change at 12 months, another inspection at 18 months, and another oil change at 24 months. If you want the oil changed more frequently than that you would have to pay for it.

Funny story...my parents bought a new Highlander back in 2013. My Dad went in for service when the vehicle had 6,000 miles on it and asked for an oil change. The dealer refused and said it didn't need to be done until 1yr or 12,000 miles. My Dad said he would gladly pay for the oil change. The dealer again refused and said to come back at 1 year or 12,000 miles. He would have done the oil change himself, but didn't have the patience or desire to buy the special filter wrench needed for the vehicle. After the 2 year maintenance program ended, he took it in every 6,000 miles and paid for an oil change and the dealer was happy to oblige. So the first 2 years they owned it, it had 2 oil changes. Then for the other 6 years they owned it, it got changed every 6,000 miles.

Now they have a 2021 Venza Hybrid and just take it in every 6 months. The dealer does whatever Toyota recommends in the manual and they are out within 2 hours.
Mom took her TRD Pro at either 10 or 20k and it came back out of alignment. It was very bad. On top of that, she was there 3 hours. They actually wanted to shuttle her to the mall while she waited. I took over the oil changes after that.

Not saying my dealer would do this, but I don’t want anyone but me touching the thing.

and to think the current 4r has some of the least "techy" gadgets in the industry. Would hate to see what you think about some more up to date models...

Back