Obesity and exercise

I was going to say the same thing. Having dogs (including the Belgian Malinois mix that I have currently) has definitely motivated me to walk more. I was thinking of advising the OP to talk to the individual in question, and see if they would commit to walking a dog. One extra duty for someone who struggles to get off the couch isn't going to improve anything, if they aren't willing to take care of the dog and walk it. But if they would, that would be an excellent motivator.

I agree with those who say that exercise doesn't take off as many calories as dieting. But walking helps motivate me to do that. When I see a bowl of ice cream, I now ask myself how many minutes of walking would that bowl negate. Keeps things in the proper perspective.

One great way to lose weight and improve your outlook is to get a dog. Of course you have to be sure the person can apply themselves enough to treat the dog well.

Anyone have experience with therapy for obesity? I have a family member who is turning 50, hypertensive, and essentially let themselves go over the past decade (Out of convenience). I'm really struggling watching this happen and yet because I have a no-BS approach to staying physically fit my personality doesn't lend itself towards providing suggestions.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any success stories using therapy. Perhaps I can guide them to getting help. I've been to too many funerals as of late.
I didn't read every response here but the main takeaway is that somebody has to WANT to change.

This guy has a lot of good info relating to the why and wherefores of weight loss and bust a lot of myths.
While progressive resistive exercise is an excellent way to do it, don't let the title fool you, it's not all about that....

Beyond that if one needs to eat less and move more but they're having problems eating less because they can't move that much due to physical conditions, such as maybe arthritis or whatever, they may want to ASK THEIR DOCTOR about the weight loss medicine Qsymis

I always see these morbidly obese creatures, who every time you see them they’re stuffing the biggest supersized fast food meal in their face.

Some have brought up depression. While depression may be the reason why many people overeat, the direct cause of their obesity is still the overeating and not knowing what and when to eat. Obviously, the reason for obesity, if there's a mental or physical ailment, must be addressed first. A d no, you can't make anybody succeed. You can show them how and why things work or don't work and the rest is up then.

Back