Obesity and exercise

Anyone have experience with therapy for obesity? I have a family member who is turning 50, hypertensive, and essentially let themselves go over the past decade (Out of convenience). I'm really struggling watching this happen and yet because I have a no-BS approach to staying physically fit my personality doesn't lend itself towards providing suggestions.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any success stories using therapy. Perhaps I can guide them to getting help. I've been to too many funerals as of late.

That's tough. If they are open to it you can help, but otherwise it's hard to win them over unless they are asking for help.

Not knowing about them, I would suggest they do this through a physician. A stress test may be needed before starting an exercise program. Things you may not know like prior family history, current blood pressure, diabetes etc. Have to be taken into consideration.

Having said that, a good place to start is water aerobics. Easy on the knees and joints.

Last edited:
See if he will talk to his doctor about that band thing. My fat nephew is an absolute disgrace and could use 5 of those bands but he likes stuffing his pie hole too much. No kidding this fat body likes to eat a family size pizza for a late night snack, exercise is feet from floor to couch, that's it.

See if he will talk to his doctor about that band thing. My fat nephew is an absolute disgrace and could use 5 of those bands but he likes stuffing his pie hole too much. No kidding this fat body likes to eat a family size pizza for a late night snack, exercise is feet from floor to couch, that's it.
For anything to help, change between the ears has to happen first, then therapies like you mentioned can be an adjunct.

Reactions: JC1
I am in cardiac rehab now due to a aortic valve replacement, well, third one actually but that's a long story. I am not overweight but at least 60% of people in rehab with me are, almost all due to blockages and needing bypasses. Being overweight is a Heart attack waiting to happen, just a question of when. At an amusement park this week, it was easier counting the people not overwight than those that were, again, 60-70% of the adults and, unfortunatley some children as well

I am in cardiac rehab now due to a aortic valve replacement, well, third one actually but that's a long story. I am not overweight but at least 60% of people in rehab with me are, almost all due to blockages and needing bypasses. Being overweight is a Heart attack waiting to happen, just a question of when. At an amusement park this week, it was easier counting the people not overwight than those that were, again, 60-70% of the adults and, unfortunatley some children as well
Well there is overweight, obese, and uhh....*** happened or 'Merica Fat ie 300+lb 5'9" type.

For example for some here they might think their wife who gained 10lb is overweight..
I was actually by medical definition obese at 220lb and 6'2" been working on that .. now 200-205 range... Hope to stay under 200 over the holidays and then really work on closing in on my goal of 180-185.

Wife's family well it was normal to eat desert with every meal and snack so you can guess they all had diabetes and were morbidly obese.

My major issue is I get heartburn if I dont eat 2x at work.. and grumpy (lol)

Thats probably more info than anyone wanted but hey its BITOG.

I really just try to avoid snacking excessively, avoid Pop, stop eating when I'm not hungry! , and if I have desert only have a couple bites.. been working so far.. but I dont have a desk job. The reason why it works is I want it to work.. I dislike being this heavy and want to change.

That guy who eats a large pizza for dinner has a 12pack of coke to drink over the course of the day then snacks on a big bowl of icecream.. well he doesnt want to change.

I’ve gained 30# over the past couple of years. If enough people insinuated I had a weight problem I’d do something about it. Fingers crossed

Did they replace the valve open heart or through your wrist/groin? My wife's boss is facing that surgery eventually and he's a nervous wreck.

My wife lost 79 lbs with diet and exercise about 10 years. She got down to 103lbs with a flat 6 pack but menopause hit and she's about 115 now. Still watches what she eats and exercises daily. She's very dedicated. I have 20 to 30lbs to lose.

Reactions: JC1
Exercise will crank up the metabolism but nobody can outrun eating utensils or make up for poor nutritional choices. The Standard American Diet is also known as SAD.

1lbs of fat equals 3,500kcal. Burning fat via exercise alone is going to wear any person down very quickly.

The following should work for anybody without underlying conditions.

1. Eat less. Remain in a 25 - 35% caloric deficit. If you cut caloric intake further you risk your metabolism going into energy conservation mode making fat loss very difficult

2. Good amounts of protein and good fat, low carb (less than 20% of calories from carbs). Cut all refined carbs. You still need fiber for intestinal flora and fiber is metabolically essentially inactive. If you fuel your body mostly with fat you get fat-adapted over time. This is how humans are supposed to get their energy primarily. Our glycogen stores (liver and muscles) are our immediately available emergency energy reserves that we need for short term, high-energy expenditure. A sprinter will deplete his glycogen reserves rapidly while a marathon runner can keep going and going fueled by body fat.

3. Restrict your eating to an 8-hour period and don't eat for at least 16 hours. During those 16 hours you will use up your glycogen stores, your body will stop making insulin, and your body will switch over to using body fat as fuel. It's easiest to have an early dinner and a late lunch the next day. That way half your intermittent fasting is fine while you are sleeping. Most people can handle two meals a day just fine.

4.Drink lots of water.

5. Exercise. Get your respiratory system going. If you are not a fit person a brisk 15 minute walk will be great for you. When you burn body fat it is converted into water and carbon dioxide - you exhale it. Don't overdo the exercising or you'll get hungry.

In the fall I put on weight because I need the extra bit insulation when surfing during the cold season. I put on between 10 and 15 lbs. When the water gets warmer I rapidly lose the extra weight by following my own advice given above. Losing 15 pounds takes me about 5-6 weeks and it's not a difficult process or a hard to follow regimen. At 6'2" I'm now 215 lbs, which is about my max. Next April I'll drop back down to my normal 200lbs.

Last edited:
I’ve gained 30# over the past couple of years. If enough people insinuated I had a weight problem I’d do something about it. Fingers crossed
Probably body fat percentage is a more accurate measure of whether you have a weight problem or not. Most football players are probably overweight due to the BMI charts, but probably have an acceptable body fat percentage although a few positions, having extra weight is helpful.

Your family member needs to quit eating processed foods.

The sad reality is that a good percentage of Americans that have been in the USA for multiple generations eat like garbage.

If you look at what foreign born people from overseas place in their shopping cart, it's not the junk most Americans eat.

My parents are from Poland and I grew up with a health nut Mom and my wife is also a heath freak. Everyone in my family is tall & skinny.
I'm 6'2-3/4 and never weighed over 165 in my life.

Where are the fat people in Japan?

Obesity isn't always just about poor food choices or lack of activity. In many cases it's an outward indication of depression. Eating sweets and junk food provides short-term pleasure which is all the pleasure some people get to feel in life, and the bad food adds up. Then you're even more depressed because you're heavy. It's a sad cycle.

So yes, deciding to change your lifestyle is the first step, but if you're depressed and doing that deprives you of the one thing that gives you short-term feel-goods then it's bound to fail. At that point you just have to decide to be miserable in order to make a positive life change which will benefit you later and many people can't do that.

Thyroid dysfunction or failure and it's treatment often result in difficult weight management and energy problems. Metabolism controlled by a thyroid pill does not match the natural negative feedback metabolic system, the T4, T3 levels and associated TSH levels. When one eats, TSH increases, which cranks up thyroid output, and therefore metabolism.

Eating American food, which is chock-a-block full of hormones and compounds engineered to create animal weight gain and/or fast plant growth and high yields, results in weight gain. When I go to Africa, despite eating more of the same foods than I do here, I lose weight fast.

My points: It's not clear that the person is to blame, or that they can even do anything reasonable about it. It's very well known that thyroid failure sufferers need an 800 calorie/day diet to lose weight. That is not enough to sustain daily energy needs. So the result is a sedentary person during weight loss, followed by gain when adequate food is consumed.

You can lead a Horse to water. Cut carbs and sugars prepared and processed foods . See a doctor

Back