OBD2 interface for data logging

LDM

Not sure if this is the right category to post this but if not please move to the appropriate one.

Anyway, I've been using HP Tuners MPVI2 interface for around 3 years now. Saturday I went to do some data logging on my truck, the scanning programed tried to do an update to my interface, which ended up bricking it in the process. Not sure what happened, tried engaging HP Tuners customer support, to which I end up getting an answer of "Oh, well, your hardware failed for some reason, we can't tell you why, you'll need to buy a new $400 MPVI3. We also aren't going to tell you why the hardware failed because we don't want to do that, mostly because if we tell you what happen you'll be able to prove that the update we forced to your MPVI2 interface broken it and we can then be held liable."

To say the least I'm neither happy that it was bricked, that it might be fixable if they would tell me why it bricked during the update process, nor happy with what they pretend is "good customer service and that they stand behind their products." Anyway, at this point I'm looking into other possible OBD2 interfaces that would work for my data logging. GM is my primary concern as that is what I own and mostly work on although it would be nice if it could do other makes as well without extra costs. I don't want anything that requires a subscription or annual update fee, dealt with this before and it isn't worth it. I don't mind spending a little bit of money if it will do what I want although I will definitely be looking at the warranty/update process in regard to that.

HP Tuners seems to think that having to buy a $400 interface every 3 years is an acceptable way to do business, which it isn't to say the least. Especially when whatever the update was that the scanning software tried to push is the culprit and they refuse to take responsibility for their updates. Unfortunately after searching the web this isn't the first time that they have done this, as many people with the original MPVI interface went through a similar issue with them after they brought out the MPVI2. Makes me very glad I never purchased any of their PCM tuning credits as then I would be out that money as well.

I hate to hear this. But I don't think any company would warrant a 3 year old interface.

I have a MPVI & a MPVI2 with well over 300 vehicles/licenses tied to them, Which is over $30,000 worth of credits. I need to upgrade to a MPVI3 & have all my licenses swapped over before something like this happens to me.

I still use my original MPVI often because I have some unlimited year/model stuff tied to it, But I use a dedicated PC & I turn off the WIFI before using it along with not using the Scanner.....Editor ONLY.

Cost of doing business I guess, The MPVI2 is now obsolete way before it's time because the chips they used are basically unobtainable

OBDFusion app for your smart phone or table is great for logging data. It's available for both iOS and android.

I hate to hear this. But I don't think any company would warrant a 3 year old interface.

I have a MPVI & a MPVI2 with well over 300 vehicles/licenses tied to them, Which is over $30,000 worth of credits. I need to upgrade to a MPVI3 & have all my licenses swapped over before something like this happens to me.

I still use my original MPVI often because I have some unlimited year/model stuff tied to it, But I use a dedicated PC & I turn off the WIFI before using it along with not using the Scanner.....Editor ONLY.

Cost of doing business I guess, The MPVI2 is now obsolete way before it's time because the chips they used are basically unobtainable
Plenty of other OBD2 interfaces have 3-5 year warranties. But aside from this, HP Tuners update is what bricked my interface, I watched it as it happened. Not sure if it was an incomplete download or what but as I never had a problem with it before I didn't consider disabling its ability to update my interface. I probably should have in hindsight and after doing a little research on how HP tuners support apparently seems to like to do this to its customers. There are numerous people who had issues with HP tuners updates bricking their older MPVI interfaces and their support did little to nothing to help them either.

Seems to be a common issue with them, makes me glad that I'm an owner of Tunercat's original OBD2 software and a Roadrunner. I've being using Tunercat's software since the late 90s and he would never treat his customers like this. I definitely will never be purchasing any credits from HP tuners even if I do end up getting another one of their interfaces (it will be used if so, they won't be getting anymore of my money).

Out of curiosity, what version of HP Tuners software are you using with your MPVI original interface?

OBDFusion app for your smart phone or table is great for logging data. It's available for both iOS and android.
Thanks for the info but I need something that runs on a laptop and has a lot more capability. 4 parameter data logging is not anywhere near close to what I need for the tuning I do.

Plenty of other OBD2 interfaces have 3-5 year warranties. But aside from this, HP Tuners update is what bricked my interface, I watched it as it happened. Not sure if it was an incomplete download or what but as I never had a problem with it before I didn't consider disabling its ability to update my interface. I probably should have in hindsight and after doing a little research on how HP tuners support apparently seems to like to do this to its customers. There are numerous people who had issues with HP tuners updates bricking their older MPVI interfaces and their support did little to nothing to help them either.

Seems to be a common issue with them, makes me glad that I'm an owner of Tunercat's original OBD2 software and a Roadrunner. I've being using Tunercat's software since the late 90s and he would never treat his customers like this. I definitely will never be purchasing any credits from HP tuners even if I do end up getting another one of their interfaces (it will be used if so, they won't be getting anymore of my money).

Out of curiosity, what version of HP Tuners software are you using with your MPVI original interface?

Version 3.2, Seems stable so I don't mess with it. Running version 4.10.7 with my MPVI2.

Version 3.2, Seems stable so I don't mess with it. Running version 4.10.7 with my MPVI2.
Yeah, that makes sense. From what I've researched the newer versions seem to cause issues with the older devices, especially with firmware updates. They claim that it wasn't a firmware update that bricked my device but since they refuse to give me any details on why its not working or what happened, I don't really believe anything they have to say.

Back