OBD Reader

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, you can google putting google play on fires-- I did my kids'. Had to put it in "developer mode" first by tapping some arcane menu seven times.

You should use Forscan. It's free and does Ford specific codes. It's pretty advance, there's even a key module where you can add and remove keys to the car.

OBDLink LX doesn't support Ford specific stuff, you need MX/MX+ for that. Get the MX+ because with the regular MX the official OBDLink app will demand $10 per year of OEM specific PIDs while with the MX+ you can get OEM enhanced data for free. If you're just going to use with a Windows laptop and Forscan you can get either the MX or MX+ and they'll work identically. Personally I have all three:

LX = the one I try to keep with me just for quick usage here and there to pull standard OBDII codes or reset someone's CEL... if I break it or lose it I won't be sad. It's currently lost, gotta find it.

MX = I also try to keep this one handy, I only use it for Forscan at this point.

MX+ = the one I care about the most and leave it at home for when I want to access OEM enhanced live data on a GM or Ford from my phone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Olas
laptop is the best tool for this job

Or a windows tablet, which you can now get pretty cheap for older versions, say $30 or so. This is less cumbersome yet running windows, still gives the programming features of forscan. If you don't need the programming features, just diagnostic, any little old android phone is ideal and practically free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back