O2 sensors Economy vs Premium brand

I think these days you can buy OES(Bosch/Denso/NTK) or generic(Chineseium or Walker) from the parts store. Once upon a time, ACDelco made their own sensors in Rochester, NY/Anderson, IN. Wouldn’t doubt if they rebox Denso or Bosch for the OEM-level stuff.

No cheap ones (economy) are absolutely junk based on what I know and have experienced and been told. Get OEM or whoever makes the OEM part for your car. I had to replace one in our Toyota my dad wanted to get the cheapest one I told him no get the Denso he did and he was able to understand why I said don’t go aftermarket then. It’s still going good today.
Solid advice.

I only use OEM O2 sensors. They are one of the most critical sensors on your vehicle and basically tell all of the other sensors on the engine how to react or perform. I try to only use OEM parts for most of the electrical components on a vehicle if possible because in my experience, aftermarket parts don't work as well or last as long.

Ended up buying the Denso O2. It came and the connector was defective, the terminals were too short and would not make connection with engine side connector. Sent it back to Rockauto and got as refund

Ended up buying the Denso O2. It came and the connector was defective, the terminals were too short and would not make connection with engine side connector. Sent it back to Rockauto and got as refund
Sounds like maybe you got the wrong part or they listed the wrong part for that particular application. They usually fit fine if they're the correct ones. I did get some Walker O2 sensors that were on clearance at rockauto for my Mercedes, about $50, regular Bosch/Denso were over $100. They're fine so far, it's only been a few months though.

I can only speak for some old cars I work with because newer cars O2 are still good.

I would look at which one the OE was and buy the cheap sensor like Ultra Power that uses the same vendor (NTK Denso or Bosch), and just call it a day, so far they work just the same as before as they are not wide band O2, just some Zirconia on/off type.

For wideband O2 I would be especially careful, and check with owner clubs / forums and see what people usually use. In the worst case it might be worse and you typically don't replace those unless you get a code. I might still do the "Ultra Power with the same vendor type" in the future, but I think it would be safer to just pull a used one off junkyard or eBay. At least you know it is OEM and it still works right away (although it may not last as long) and it is calibrated exactly the same, unlike aftermarket with different vendors or designs that aren't calibrated for.

There's some parts that need to be OE, IMO. That would be spark plugs, thermostats, and O2 sensors. Most anything else I'll buy aftermarket.

Like Chris' Jeep, mine also threw codes and ran like crap on other O2 sensors, mine were Delphi. Had to put NTK (OE) on it for it to be happy.

Any parts that I replace on a car I own should be OE or OEM. I can't stress that enough.

I think these days you can buy OES(Bosch/Denso/NTK) or generic(Chineseium or Walker) from the parts store. Once upon a time, ACDelco made their own sensors in Rochester, NY/Anderson, IN. Wouldn’t doubt if they rebox Denso or Bosch for the OEM-level stuff.
Walker are not generic even though they are sold as an economy line on Rock. When they first came out I read they use Denso or NTK elements and wire them in the USA. They offer OE based sensors.

I have used these many times over the years and never had one fail or go erratic. Wire color code and length is correct and the connector is OE quality, not cheap chicom junk. I will buy a couple of them this week for a Subi without reservation.

Edit: $128 Walker and $280 OE

Last edited:

They may have sent you the wrong one.
It happened to my dad, he was on the phone with me about it and tried to convince him that it should fit properly.
After further investigation, he got the wrong part.
Called Amazon and ended up sending him the correct one and it worked.

i’ve gotten away with it as a temporary thing but honestly if they’re really expensive for your car, just buy used. if you’re an extreme cheapskate you can swap connectors with the closest match

Last edited:
I would stick to premium brand of O2 sensors since they are critical components for engine operation. Put a low quality sensor on and your MPG and performance might suffer.

I have never replaced an oxygen sensor...I guess Motorcraft makes really good sensors
Depends on the mileage, they say 50-60k but they seem to last about 100-125k. Had to do my upstream sensors on my Taurus at around 120k, threw a code.

I drove an 04 Saturn until it had 165k, never had a problem with sensors, have 140k on my 09 Saturn with no sensor problems.

I literally know nothing about oxygen sensors because I've never had one fail....just find it odd.

I drove an 04 Saturn until it had 165k, never had a problem with sensors, have 140k on my 09 Saturn with no sensor problems.

I literally know nothing about oxygen sensors because I've never had one fail....just find it odd.
They get lazy as they get older. Gas mileage went up when I replaced mine. You're not really saving any money by not replacing them, you're just wasting more gas without realizing it.

Back