O-rings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please enlighten me: Although I realize that in certain applications (like the space shuttle or nuclear powerplants) there are very specific performance requirements for the use & design of O-rings, in more mundane, normal automotive or motorcycle applications why do some O-rings seem so unrea$onably (?) expen$ive?

Point in contention: in my SVX power steering system all the O-rings on the high pressure side EXCEPT one are in the $0.75 to $2.00 range. One of them is $9.83, the last one, with a screw on hose pressure fitting going to the rack.

I understand that there are three basic characteristics: the nature of the material itself (rubber, Vitron(?), neoprene, etc.) the circumference and the diameter.

But, why is one $0 much more expen$ive than the others?
dunno.gif

Cheers!

Well, if you are paying $9.83 for an aftermarket o-ring, chances are the supply chain involved 3-5 vendors and you are paying for profit tacked onto profit!

If the o-ring is an odd-ball size, another possibility is that the amorization of the tooling cost for the mold, is built into the sell price.

The material cost of Viton is perhaps a 10X factor greater than a standard buna/nitrile material. But, in a typical o-ring size, the material portion of the total cost should not put the sell price above $5 bucks.

Yep, my wallet would also be groaning if a single o-ring devoured a 10 dollar bill!
smile.gif

From my 25+ years in the rubber industry...

What Blue said plus: Today's ten dollars is yesterday's one dollar. Count yourself lucky you can even get parts for that orphan car. (By the way, I like the SVX: kind of a Japanese Citroen SM...)

I had to replace a power window switch in my wifes F250 ford stupid duty the dealer in ripoff Redding Calif.,Crown motors wanted over $100.00 the dealer in Redbluff wanted $60.00 .List price was $46.something an internet purchase from a dealer in Sherman Texas was $43.20 with great service

I appreciate the responses! Interestingly enough the rebuilt P/S pump from A1 Cardone INCLUDED two packages, totalling 6 additional O-rings! I'm waiting to receive the ones I ordered from Subaruparts.com (OEM with GENUINE! $ubaru Part$ Number$ on the little bag$!!!) to see which ones are actually which: will wonders never cease?

Tosh: other than the fact that the SM was a 4-door, as I recall, I certainly see your point. Kinda' a cross between a DeLorean (with the windows within the glass canopy?) & a SM, maybe?

I bought mine new in 1992, had a single transmission replacement (under warranty) and other than the notorious problems this car has with rear wheel bearings, this is the only the 2nd real repair I've ever needed (1st was a dynamited crank pully) in 140+k miles!

Averaged 28.5 mpg on my last 500 mile trip, too.

Cheers!

Quote:

One of them is $9.83, the last one, with a screw on hose pressure fitting going to the rack.

If they come as a package, this sounds like an O ring boss seal fitting. Even if it was a standard size, that price isn't bad for one on the consumer level.

6400-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back