O.K. to use Mobil 1 ESP X2 0W20 in Toyota Tacoma?

I'm pretty picky about what oil I use in my 2019 Tacoma with the 3.5L, V-6. Currently, I'm running the TGMO 0W-20 (and a Fram Ultra XG9972 filter, if you're interested).

I really like what I'm reading about the Mobil 1 ESP X2 0W20 ( https://bit.ly/3aYdO8G and https://bit.ly/3pgvXUd) and I see that it's even been discussed here and has a VOA by one of the BITOG members ( https://bit.ly/2MWYRf9 ).

I see the website says, "Mobil 1 ESP X2 0W-20 motor oil is recommended for the new high-performance gasoline and diesel engines in emerging European vehicles that require SAE 0W-20 viscosity grades.", so I just wanted your .02 that it's O.K. to use in my (United States) Toyota Tacoma?

Thank you!

Ed

Go to Mobil's website and run your year, make, and model. According to them, yes.
When I did checked the website, this specific oil wasn't listed in the results (I'm guessing because it was developed for Europe?), but it is the correct, 0W-20 grade.

Ed

It’s a bit overkill...oh wait did I just say that. Back when I had my 2002 Tacoma 3.4L I did run Amsoil HDD 5W30 for two oil changes.

This 👆 but you certianly use it without a problem.
I know some people use the cheapest, bargain-basement oil that meets their vehicle needs, but I'm not one of those people. For *me*, I am much more comfortable buying an oil that *I* think is a high quality product, even if it's 2X, 3X, etc., the price of bargain-basement stuff.

*I* think "you get what you pay for".

Ed

I've read in some threads that the VW 508/509 oil might be esp x2 after they switched suppliers from Castrol to Mobil

1613088491411.jpg

https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen__/ENGINE-OIL/92749431/GE600201QDSP.html

$7.13/quart retail so maybe cheaper than mobil branded esp x2 and easier to find

When I did checked the website, this specific oil wasn't listed in the results (I'm guessing because it was developed for Europe?), but it is the correct, 0W-20 grade.

Ed
I own a Toyota and I know they spec ILSAC GF-5 for there 0w20. The ESP X2 does not carry that spec, which is why it wasn't listed. Your right it carries a lot of specs. for European vehicles as well as the new diesel option for GM's half ton pickup trucks. Why not use Mobil 1 EP? That would be more identical to TGMO than ESP X2.

It seems like in the warranty and maintenance guide, they only care about the viscosity - not the approvals but some of you might know more about the terms and conditions of the warranty

Engine Oil Selection
Please refer to your Owner’s Manual for the specific oil viscosity rating recommended for your vehicle/engine type

and on another page

Engine Oil and Oil Filter
Replace the oil filter and drain and refill the engine oil at specified intervals. For recommended oil grade and viscosity, refer to the Owner’s Manual. NOTE: Your vehicle is certified with Genuine Toyota 0W-20 motor oil. For VEHICLES CERTIFIED FOR 0W-20 motor oil, the oil change interval is 10,000 miles or 12 months IF 0W-20 MOTOR OIL IS BEING USED. If 0W-20 is not available, 5W-20 mineral oil may be used. However, it must be replaced at a 5,000-miles or six-month INTERVAL with 0W-20 motor oil. For customers who primarily drive their vehicle under any of the listed Special Operating Conditions, the motor oil and filter should be replaced at 5,000 miles or six months, REGARDLESS OF THE OIL USED (OR CERTIFICATION OF THE VEHICLE).

It meets the requirements according to mobil and API but it doesn't have approval.

Does that mean OP can use it?

Manual for 2019 tacoma mentioning ILSAC GF-5 -
View attachment 45044
API website says SN matches ILSAC GF-5:
View attachment 45045

Mobil website for esp x2:
View attachment 45047
This is missing language from other Toyota manuals (including our 4Runner and the Tundra), stating that an oil with higher viscosity may be used under severe use such as high-speed driving or towing.

0W-20 spec‘d purely for economy purposes even though it makes little difference in economy from a 5W-30.

I know some people use the cheapest, bargain-basement oil that meets their vehicle needs, but I'm not one of those people. For *me*, I am much more comfortable buying an oil that *I* think is a high quality product, even if it's 2X, 3X, etc., the price of bargain-basement stuff.

*I* think "you get what you pay for".

Ed
Run Mobil1 5W30 EP. It showed excellent results in UOA in my 2GR-FE.
If you want to stick to 0W20, Castrol 0W20 EP is MB229.71.

Back