NY to FL. On a train! Updates with pictures of progress. (to and from)

This could be kinda cool, I wanted make a thread of the progress on the train trip from New York to Orlando Florida (and back-driving) I will be leaving on train may 9th from NY with eta may 10, 11am in Orlando FL.

The trip is about 27 hours long one way.

Back story is I have a client who’s in Florida but wants to come back to ny now fl is getting too hot. I would take the train down, and drive back up with them to NY.
Anyone ever drive a 2 door Mini Cooper 1950 miles in a couple days…. What a penalty box that thing is, but they love it.. also no flying here atm so it’s gonna be train and car trip. I figured this would also be something different and fun.

I will post updates and pictures in this thread of the trip going down starting may 9th and even coming back to ny over the duration of the trip. Will be back in New York around May 22. I will keep this thread updated as progress emerges. 🎉
9BE35DC8-52B7-4696-9F36-EC94E6ACFDAF.jpeg

Of course, I love to fly when I travel. I've never done a really long train trip like that. I guess as long as the accommodations are comfy, then why not? Looking forward to your review.

I'm flying our PC-12 FL to NY today. It's a single engine turboprop. Takes about 4 hours, unless there are horrible headwinds. Today, a tailwind for about half the trip, then some pretty epic crosswinds.

The trip is about 27 hours long one way.
Can't think of anything more enjoyable then having to sit for the most of 27 hours in a sealed tube just inches from total strangers and using a toilet shared with hundreds of others. Hope you've had all your shots and boosters.

And btw, not sure where exactly you're from on that map, but Frontier has a non stop flight from Albany to Orlando on the 9th for $49. How much is the train?

Untitled.jpg

went from Pa to Great Lakes Illinois for basic training USN, pullman car i believe. sleeping + "bathroom" all in one + is said to be the most costly transportation at that time, about 68-69. clack-clack-clack + more clack i remember!!

Can't think of anything more enjoyable then having to sit for the most of 27 hours in a sealed tube just inches from total strangers and using a toilet shared with hundreds of others. Hope you've had all your shots and boosters.

And btw, not sure where exactly you're from on that map, but Frontier has a non stop flight from Albany to Orlando on the 9th for $49. How much is the train?
Well…. when you volunteer and work at railroads on the side a train trip seems “enjoyable” 😂 I definitely get this is not everyone’s cup of tea. And even me while I live trains sometimes I cannot see myself doing this anymore then I have to.

And yeah the train ticket is about triple - Amtrak.

I take it you're on the Auto-Train?

Check yourself carefully for bedbug bites in the morning.

I've done 3 long distance train trips in my life in the USA. All for the he77 of it because I had the time and I wanted to. It's a great way to see the country because you can see more when you aren't the one driving. It's also a car hunters dream, you can see into a lot of backyards, mostly when you are coming into and out of a station and going slow. It is better if the train isn't full though!

Something to do once. Good way to see parts of the country you won't otherwise see. If you are the 'journey, not the destination' type, you'll find some enjoyment from the trip.

Ages ago, the late 80's just out of school, our SVP had a fear of flying and would pay for first class seats or a sleeper cabin instead of a flight. I satisfied my train curiosity with a trip from Boston to Chicago, had a sleeper cab with a private toilet. These weren't Amtrak's best days. It wasn't horrible, but it was long, late, like 5 hours late to Chicago. The food was what you'd expect, but the lounge car was fun and folks were social; mostly retirees, families and a very few non-flyer business travelers. Coming back, we broke down East of Cleveland and I went to sleep. Woke up to us being hauled by two Conrail locomotives and we arrived ~12 hours late.....

Acela Business Class is very nice.

One funny incident, after almost two days on a late train, I decided to take a sink shower in my cabin. So there I am toweling off, not thinking, turn, face the large window and we are rolling by a grade crossing at ~10 mph... Oh! D@mn....

Oh, this was the same Exec who upon finding out I had flown myself to a meeting across the state (didn't tell anyone and put in for auto mileage) called me on the carpet and said '..wondering if your appetite for risk fits a Bank like ours...' :cool:

Last edited:
My son took his family to Florida from PA for Thanksgiving in 2019. Two boys 4 and seven. Train was stopped in the Carolinas for almost nine hours as they hit a car that was trying to race the train at a crossing. Then they all got bedbugs on the way home and had to have their house treated which was EXPENSIVE! They just had coach seats so the bedbugs came from the seats.

I "won" some travel funds from my work and my wife and I planned a cross-Canada train trip between Toronto and Vancouver. Looked like a lot of fun and a beautiful trip full of romance. That was until we thought more about bathrooms and showers and decided to go to Venice instead. My longest door to door (leaving home until I arrived at my hotel room) travel was 26 hours when I flew to China with a connecting flight in China. That was a long day of travel. 27 hours in a train is a long time. And that is without any delays.

I take it you're on the Auto-Train?

Check yourself carefully for bedbug bites in the morning.

I’m pretty sure that the auto train runs from Lorton Virginia to Sanford Florida. That train is the most awesome in the whole Amtrak system because it is truly an express train. Snowbirds use it all the time and it’s one of the most popular trains if you’re willing to drive from New York down to Virginia Were they bored people and their cars.

I’m pretty sure that the auto train runs from Lorton Virginia to Sanford Florida. That train is the most awesome in the whole Amtrak system because it is truly an express train. Snowbirds use it all the time and it’s one of the most popular trains if you’re willing to drive from New York down to Virginia Were they bored people and their cars.
That's the one! But re-reading the original post, I am not sure if he's taking the train down there and driving back, or taking the Mini Cooper (on board the train) and then driving back with it afterward. I assumed the latter but I don't think I am right.

Did it once in 2002 with my wife and two kids aged 9 and 4. We're from northern NJ so we still had a long ride to VA just to get to the train. Then we had a long ride to Miami once we got off. On the train, we had reserved the family club car! Man, it sounded big! Well, our room was maybe 4' x 10'. The couch and chair each converted into beds and then there were 2 other beds that folded out of the walls. I didn't sleep all night with the constant clickety clacking and movement. My daughter picked up a stomach bug on the train so when we embarked on the ride to Miami she's in the back seat puking into a bucket. Glad we did it once because we still laugh about that trip (not my daughter though) but I would never want to do it again. It was pretty expensive as I remember too.

Back